What could be wrong with my network connection?

Reaction score
Hello. I'm a complete newbie to the forums here, so thought I would say hi before rushing straight into pleading for assistance. Now that we have that out of the way, let the pleading commence.

So after 3 and a half hours of trying to determine what could be wrong with my network connection on my own, I fully admit to being flabbergasted. So I'll explain my issues here, and if any of you kind gents/ladies could offer any help at all, I'd be very appreciative.

First I'll start with what my set up is(will go ahead and let you guys know I'm not a computer guru at all): Just a plain old Imac that is around 2 years old, I've always connected to the internet with a basic Motorola modem that was provided by my ISP. So basically a wired connection, though sometimes I use airport to connect off of my dumb *** neighbor(seriously it is 2011, who doesn't know how to lock down your wireless network by now), if I am playing around on my Xbox.

So jump ahead to more recently, will go ahead and let you guys know we had a pretty rough thunder storm that came through a week or so ago, about the time I started noticing the problem. I wasn't home to unplug anything, and I know I had a power outage in my area.(I honestly think this is the main culprit to my problem) So now to the meat of things. Ever since that, I can not stay connected to the internet. About every 5 to 10 mins my network will go down. Here comes the part that is perplexing to me, a lot of times I can try network diagnostics, and immediately after pulling it up, I'll have all green across the board, network wise. Then 5 to 10 mins later, I'll be down again. I do notice that when I go into my network diagnostic most of the time it'll have me selected using Airport automatically even though airport is off. Not sure if that is relevant or not. Another peculiar note is that when I am able to connect, and I have Utorrents running or just checking my connection speed at the top, it is all over the place. Like it jumps from 23kb/s to 400kb/s back down to 134kb/s then 17kb/s then back up to 345kb/s. Usually it will jump around a little bit, but mostly stays consistent.

I think the problem has to be either in my modem,(called the isp they say everything is pinging like it should.) or with my ethernet port. Also would like to note before I finish, unplugging my ethernet then plugging it back in helps sometimes, as does resetting my modem.

If anyone on here can maybe give me an idea of anything I could do on my end to trouble shoot I would definitely appreciate it. Also any suggestions, tips, or ideas would be awesome. I told you guys their would be pleading abound.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you got a friend who can bring his computer over and check the performance it still
sounds like a modem issue but your NIC card could be acting up or take your computer to a friends and see if the issue persists.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.