• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

VHS capture questions

Reaction score
I'm trying to capture old VHS tapes for my parents, and I have a few questions. Please don't say "gfgi" because I already did that. I want advice from a warm body.

Basically, I'm wondering what combination of VHS transfer dongle and capture software works best. The freer the better. I've been seeing a lot of conflicting reviews of various hardware and software. I'm planning on using my windows 7 laptop (64 bit) because, as I understand, video capture is an intensive process, and I want to use my mac for other things while the capturing is going on.

What's the best video format to use for the resulting files? We're talking old home videos here. The last time I tried this back in 05, a lot of the video files had audio synching issues that I want to avoid.

It would be nice to have software that automatically parses recordings into separate files based on a time period or detects pauses or static. I'm wanting to just pop in the tape, press record, and come back 8 hours later to see a finished pile of video files waiting for me.

Your advice is appreciated.

C

chas_m

VHS material recorded in eight hour mode on VHS will look HORRIFICALLY AWFUL on a computer. You've been warned.

Video capture isn't all that intensive a process, at least not on a Mac. I'd recommend an El Gato EyeTV device (there are some with onboard MP4 converters that do all the heavy lifting for you).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.