Case for MBP that WON'T harm it

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first post here

I've just ordered a MBP 15'', really waiting for it to arrive!

Anyway, I want to take care of it as much as possible, I already bought a skin cover for the keyboard and a neoprene sleeve to carry it around. I was first decided to buy a satin case for it, but it seems to harm the screen hinges because of the added weight, I don't know if the hard shell cases also add extra weight to the hinges.

Can anyone recommend me a case (doesn't matter if it is soft or hard) that won't add a single gram to the hinges?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It doesn't harm the hinges. Sure, it makes the lid heavier and more apt to close if it's already partially closed, but it's really not a big deal at all.

OP
D
Reaction score
It doesn't harm the hinges. Sure, it makes the lid heavier and more apt to close if it's already partially closed, but it's really not a big deal at all.

Thanks for your reply

Are you talking about the satin case or the hard shell?
How long have you been using it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's the Speck Satin See-Thru. It's been on since March (Bought the 2011 15" MBP when it first came out in February).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And a speck was on mine for over 2 years until my MBP went flying across the car in a fast brake incident and cracked the speck case.

My wife has had her white MB in a speck case for 4 years now.

There is nothing that is really going to give any amount of protection and weigh nothing.

OP
D
Reaction score
And a speck was on mine for over 2 years until my MBP went flying across the car in a fast brake incident and cracked the speck case.

My wife has had her white MB in a speck case for 4 years now.

There is nothing that is really going to give any amount of protection and weigh nothing.

Thanks for the reply

Well, I didn't mean the case's weight standalone, what I mean is the added weight to the hinges, being pulled by the bottom part.

It would be awesome if there was a case which top and borrom parts fitted into the laptop separately, without pulling on one another... is there?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I have not really gone looking for them, but I am not aware of any cases for Mac notebooks that are not two individual parts - one for the top and one for the bottom.

Reaction score
Looks like you are going for the cover-it-always option. Not very pratical. Instead, I'd recommend separating the functions of surface protection, body protection, and carry. Here is how I do this for mine...

For scratch and ding protection while in use, I have clear covers. The best is this one - $50 for fully covering every part of your MBP. Check out their application videos...
Apple MacBook Pro 15" Full-Body Protectors and Clear Skins by BodyGuardz

Then, all you need is a great carry bag or backpack. Get one with external zipper pockets, internal zipper pockets, padding, both handle AND removeable strap. Here is the one I use - perfect fit for my MBP 13", hiding handles, Italian style, padded, and an amazing amount of extra storage areas:
Find here the best selection of laptop messenger bags

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.