Lion, XCode 4.1 and iTunes/iPhone

Reaction score
I installed Lion from the apps store 3 days ago. It went well.

However, when I installed XCode 4.1 (Because XCode 4.0.x would no longer run on Lion), it caused a BIG problem.

It wiped out my mobile device drivers and would crash with a:

UNCAUGHT EXCEPTION (NSInternalInconsistencyException): Couldn't load plug-in 'com.apple.dt.IDE.IDEiPhoneSupport' while firing fault for extension 'Xcode.Device.iPhonePlaceholder'

Exception Every time I ran XCode.

It also prevents my iPhone, iPad and iPod from being recognized in iTunes.

I am on the phone with Apple right now trying to solve the problem. But I'm not confident, since the Analyst didn't know what XCode was.

OP
S
Reaction score
There are two solutions:

1) Reinstall Lion and that will restore the drivers to normal.
2) Restore the system from Time Machine to the time before installing XCode 4.1

in either case, XCode 4.1 can POSSIBLY cause this problem. I have talked to several others who did the same. Several had the same problem with XCode 4.1 and all restored the files from Time Machine. I will wait for an update to XCode 4.1. I'm not doing much Objective-C programming lately anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
I had the same problem. Reinstalling xcode resolved it, at least on launch. Trying iTunes now with my iPhone.. but it's reindexing the library.

if it fails, this is my plan. Feel free to try it.

1) Close Itunes

2) Use Activity Monitor to stop the ItunesHelper process. Important!

3) Download Itunes from http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

4) Install Itunes once it finishes downloading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, second install of xCode worked. Now I just need to get a JSON module installed and I'll be a happy camper for the day

OP
S
Reaction score
I had made sure ITunes helper was off before installing XCode. And if you try to modify or uninstall iTunes you get an error message saying "you can nod modify or delete iTunes because OS X depends upon it.". Didn't this happen with IE once?

Any way it's working now. (not Xcode). And I am going on vacation. Tara will still be there when I return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, you can't delete iTunes.. but you should be able to reinstall over it. Either way, earlier today I rebooted, made sure all processes were 'clean' then installed xCode again and that worked.

Reaction score
I just experienced this problem after installing Xcode from the App Store. I wanted to confirm that re-installing Xcode (using the "Install Xcode" icon placed in Applications folder) solves the issue.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My first post was my action plan, the second post confirmed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.