SSD (in superdrive) + HDD questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 08 Unibody Macbook Pro 15'', Hitachi 500gb 7k500, 8gb Ram - better than new
2 questions
Questioning the benefit of installing lion on a ssd and I know this can be done with a fresh install but is this possible to do without doing a fresh install and keep my programs and libraries without much hassle?

Secondly, If so, with only the os on the ssd, and all applications booting from hdd i'm really only going to see performance increase in the initial booting time - correct (or no)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
1. Yes, I installed the SSD, installed OS X on it, then did the necessary changes to run my home folder from it's original location on the HDD.

2. Not worth it, you won't see much of a performance boost with mostly everything still on the HDD.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 08 Unibody Macbook Pro 15'', Hitachi 500gb 7k500, 8gb Ram - better than new
Thanks Stretch -that's what I was afraid of... Just trying to remember the last time a disc went into the drive....? /long pause/ Oh when I installed SL when it first came out...
I appreciate the tips

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Pop the SSD in the MBP and clean install Lion on that by burning to a DVD or thumb drive prior to installing, and then put the current internal into an external case and use Migration Assistant to transfer files, applications, network settings etc over. Do not clone to an SSD..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.