SSD Performance Question

Reaction score
I plan on getting an OWC SSD for my up comming MBP. But this issue is I don't know which one to get.

Mercury 6G Solid State Drives 2.5" Serial-ATA 9.5mm 6Gb/s

I am leaning towards the cheaper 120GB one because it is cheaper for nearly the same performance. But where would I notice the double incompressible data rate on the EXTREME 6G? The 5 year warranty also looks nice.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to the correct forum. The "Lounge" is our off topic forum, your post belongs here. Please read the forum descriptions and Sticky notices before posting. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SSD are brilliant but depending on what model MBP you have, might be better getting the 3Gb/s transfer model if it is an older, say 2009 or earlier. Reports of problems trying to install the faster drive in the slower SATA II machines.

In my Mac Pro stuck with the 3Gb/s. Boot time under Lion is fifteen seconds and it flies. Mind you the OS X.6.8 was also a faster system that earlier Snow Leopards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.