Lion scratches out many useful apps

Reaction score
I would LOVE to move to LION, but I cannot afford Office 11 at this time, and 04 does all that I need anyways. But a major issue is Quicken. Check out this page

Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007?

I am still using Quicken 2006 and I did try Quicken Essentials which is just the bare basics. It does not even have a third of the features in my version of Quicken. If I moved to LION this would mean I would lose Quicken which wud be a serious problem for me. I am aware of Fusion and Parallels, but I cannot afford them at this time and booting into boot camp just to run Quicken for Windows would be insane, so it looks like my only move is to remain on Snow Leopard, until a crafty and smart third party developer finds out a way to get Rosetta back in OSX. Anyone know of someone who has plans to develop something to get Rosette back in OSX?

John

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
So don't upgrade. There's no NEED for the most current OS, especially when it doesn't support your old applications (and you have no need to upgrade those apps). I wouldn't expect PPC code support, not out of Apple, and I wouldn't bet many third party programmers would bother either.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There have already been several threads related to Quicken and Lion.

What else is new? Intuit has been treating their Mac users as second class citizens for years. My vote goes for it being time to leave Intuit behind.

OP
E
Reaction score

What else is new? Intuit has been treating their Mac users as second class citizens for years. My vote goes for it being time to leave Intuit behind.

Got a NON WEB BASED replacement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
iBank seems to be a popular alternative.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Seconded

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would LOVE to move to LION, but I cannot afford Office 11 at this time, and 04 does all that I need anyways.

This is nothing new...and has happened many times when Apple makes serious hardware or OS upgrade changes. Moving to the latest & greatest Mac OS (Lion in this case)...does sometimes mean that newer hardware or software be purchased.

If these purchase's are not currently in someones budget...then it will just have to wait. It is not always necessary to have the latest & greatest Macintosh computer or Mac OS to get the daily computing tasks accomplished.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Intuit treats everyone as second class citizens. They're not prejudiced. One reason why I never buy anything Intuit, not even TurboTax. :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Intuit treats everyone as second class citizens. They're not prejudiced. One reason why I never buy anything Intuit, not even TurboTax. :p

Reminds me of an Archie Bunker (All In The Family) related quote..."He's not prejudiced...he hates everyone!".;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I would LOVE to move to LION, but I cannot afford Office 11 at this time, and 04 does all that I need anyways. But a major issue is Quicken. Check out this page

Will Mac OS X Lion Kill Quicken 2007?

I'm just gonna throw this out there....

If your are using software published for the PPC 4 or 5 years ago one has to wonder why the developer has not updated the software. Sure, it sucks but Quicken needs to get off their collective butts and build a new, actually useful, version that works on an Intel Mac. Period. If they can't be bothered, then why continue to use the software?

As for Office 2004, well, it's 7 years old now and frankly it's time to move on. Really. Just get over it. There have been 2 updates since then, both of which will work on Lion so it's not like you haven't had time to save some money and buy the new SW ($149 for the student/teacher edition isn't that much, really). Tell ya what, I have my old version of 2008 I'll sell ya for $25.

Sure, someone may come up with a Rosetta replacement for OSX but in the long run you're just fooling yourself. With every iteration of OSX from here on out it's going to become more and more difficult to keep the old software running. Maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and upgrade what works or find an alternative for those that are stuck in 5 years ago land. 2007 called, they want their Quicken discs back.

Then again, you don't have to upgrade to Lion yet, you can probably hold onto SL through the 10.8 and maybe even the 10.9 upgrade too. Eventually though, your going to have to move on.

OP
E
Reaction score
Baggs do you want my Paypal address so you can mail me some money so I can do these upgrades? You speak as if I can easily UPGRADE by your language such as "its time to move on."

I'm just gonna throw this out there....

If your are using software published for the PPC 4 or 5 years ago one has to wonder why the developer has not updated the software. Sure, it sucks but Quicken needs to get off their collective butts and build a new, actually useful, version that works on an Intel Mac. Period. If they can't be bothered, then why continue to use the software?

As for Office 2004, well, it's 7 years old now and frankly it's time to move on. Really. Just get over it. There have been 2 updates since then, both of which will work on Lion so it's not like you haven't had time to save some money and buy the new SW ($149 for the student/teacher edition isn't that much, really). Tell ya what, I have my old version of 2008 I'll sell ya for $25.

Sure, someone may come up with a Rosetta replacement for OSX but in the long run you're just fooling yourself. With every iteration of OSX from here on out it's going to become more and more difficult to keep the old software running. Maybe it's just time to bite the bullet and upgrade what works or find an alternative for those that are stuck in 5 years ago land. 2007 called, they want their Quicken discs back.

Then again, you don't have to upgrade to Lion yet, you can probably hold onto SL through the 10.8 and maybe even the 10.9 upgrade too. Eventually though, your going to have to move on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Baggs do you want my Paypal address so you can mail me some money so I can do these upgrades? You speak as if I can easily UPGRADE by your language such as "its time to move on."

You're also not forced to move to Lion. Stick with the OS and hardware that works with your software until you can afford to make the changes that need to happen.

I'm not sure I see the reason for getting upset here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Will Lion kill Quicken?

Hopefully!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.