questions before i buy a mac...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andygravity

i'm gonna post this thread in a few forums (here, anything goes, design, and video) so pls excuse if you've caught this one already..

i'm seriously considering getting a mac, and have a number of questions..
i plan to do a lot of photoshop and illustrator work, and would like to get into animation and video editing and production, as well as sound production and stuff. i have a project in my head that would involve taking video and enhancing it with animated elements, or "drawing" over the frames... (think DIY budget motion capture type stuff) i also want to do freelance design work on my free time, as well as spend next summer doing a bit of travelling and doing a documentary.
i'm certianly no pro in any of these departments, (aside from photoshop/illustrator) but im a whiz with software and i'm pretty confidant that w/ enough time i can get what i have in my head out on a disk... anyways i'll quit rambling an get to the point
portability would be a great asset, but i know for the $$ spent on a powerbook i can get a much more powerful powermac

my main question - can a powerbook handle video editing and animation type work (and possibly eventually 3d software - blender maybe?) well enough to learn and play on? i could spend ALOT more time working and learning if i could carry my projects around w/ me.. and love the idea of going to an event, filming it, and working on the final video on the trip back.. i know that for, say, after effects, the ati mobility radions DO support the open gl functions, but the system reqs suggest dual processors..

also - i have a sony handicam that records onto mini dvds - could a powerbook be used to capture video directly to the hard drive, bypassing the time restraints and cost of the disks?

lastly - any good tips on software (animation, video compositing, editing, etc - aside from the adobe family) i may want to look into, or any other good forums or sites for this kinda stuff, and any random thoughts, would be appreciated

i'm kinda leaning twords the 17" with a gig of ram vs... well whatever, any of the powermacs really. i know the $$ saved on the powerbook will afford a bigger monitor and more power @ home, and a longer lifespan in geneal as far as hardware becoming obsolete.... but will the PB be enough to do what i want, or would i be better off in the long run just going with a more powerful g5 and biting the bullet on the portability issue?

thanks alot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
First off, I answered your post already. Second of all this is totally aganst forum rules. Don't ever post more than on espically in multiple forums. The Switchers Hangout was a perfect place to put it and you just ruined it. You're gonna get in trouble... Haha. Just don't do it again. And next time you join a forum or community, READ THE RULES. Thank you, I'll be here all night. Haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.