newbie office problem

Reaction score
OK applogies for extreme newb-ness

I've just got home with my new mac air and am trying to install OFFICE 2011 via dvd drive. During the installation, I keep getting a message which says 'Cant install while the following programme is running: Safari'; but safair isn't running! Do I need to disable safari or uninstall?

Advice? Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Open Activity Monitor and see if Safari is in there. If so, quit it.

(Don't use MS Office on my Macs, so just taking a guess here.)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Good deal.

Welcome aboard and come back often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
OI keep getting a message which says 'Cant install while the following programme is running: Safari'; but safair isn't running!

One way to tell if Safari is still running, even when there is no Safari window open, is to look in the Dock. If you see a little dot under the Safari icon, it's running. Right click the icon and choose Quit.

When you close the last Safari window by clicking the red dot, you have not yet Quit the application. You need to use Command-Q, or select Safari > Quit Safari from the menu in order to truly get out of it. Not doing that, but still closing the last window, leaves the application open and makes it faster to open another session.

The above is true for all programs that can have more that one window open. Programs that can only have one window open at a time will Quit via the red button.

C

chas_m

I would bet serious money that the situation toMACsh described was what happened. A staggering number of users don't know that "close" does not normally equal "quit" on a Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.