iCloud compatibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2010 iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I have a 2nd generation iPod Touch, and what I am wondering is if iCloud will work on this, and if it will work with any other old devices.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
iOS5, from what I've heard so far (and it's pre-release so it's all rumor as far as I'm concerned) will not run on a second generation touch. So, nope.. no cloud.

OP
georgemackellar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2010 iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core Duo 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
aah, what a bummer... oh well, thanks anyway!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2Ghz 160HD, 4Gb RAM, running Leopardlatest
ipod 2nd gen syncing calendars with iCloud?

So does this mean there's no way to sync your calendars with an ipod touch 2nd gen once you've moved to iCloud?

Reaction score
iCloud sounds great, but I have three late model macs, an iTouch, three running Linux (two on VM's in Macs), two older Macs that will not run Lion and a PowerPC laptop. I also share data with a number of Windows PCs. Dropbox runs on all of them so I guess I will be staying with that.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You might be able to do it if you're willing to configure iCal manually. According to this, the caldav server (calendar server) is hosted here:
You can use that (the unique id can be found in ~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook/Sources/[iCloud Account ID]/Configuration.plist) to manually configure iCal.

This process is a bit sloppy but might work. You could also use Google Calendar which works well and is easy to set up.

C

chas_m

Since iCloud works with CalDAV, the answer is actually YES, you can sync your iCloud calendar with older or non-iOS 5 devices. You just have to add the calendar as a calDAV item, it's not that big a deal:

In any of your non-iOS 5 or non-iCloud devices that you want to sync calendars, simply create a new CalDAV account for calendar sync. This new account will use your iCloud email address and password, and the server is caldav.icloud.com.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This new account will use your iCloud email address and password, and the server is caldav.icloud.com.
Not quite - the server name is more complicated than that (see my post above). There are various caldav servers. I'm set up for "p02". You can find the appropriate server using the technique here. There is also a specific server path that needs to be entered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.