• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple offers to replace some 1TB Seagate iMac drives

Reaction score
Apple offers to replace some 1TB Seagate iMac drives

Apple-iMac-sm.jpg
Apple is offering a free replacement for a "very small" number of 1TB Seagate drives used in 21.5- and 27-inch iMacs sold between May and July of this year, the company notes. The drives can be replaced free of charge by bringing the unit in to an Apple Retail Store, Authorized Service Provider or other options. Apple has set up a webpage for users to enter their iMac serial number to determine if they qualify for the program....

pixel
p-8bUhLiluj0fAw.gif
adscout.php

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7Ghz Quad Core i5, 1Tb HD, 4GB 1333 MHz DDDR3 SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics, OSX, 21.5"
I got my email notification this evening - after I returned home from the nearest Apple store an hour and a half from my home.

Does anyone know about how long I can expect this to take? I just bought my iMac in May. I've always had Windows machines and did all my own repairs up until now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I got my email notification this evening - after I returned home from the nearest Apple store an hour and a half from my home.

Does anyone know about how long I can expect this to take? I just bought my iMac in May. I've always had Windows machines and did all my own repairs up until now.

A tech won't take long to replace it. The transfer of data from the old one to the new will probably take longer. It would be a great help if you have a current Time Machine and take it along.

Working inside an IMac isn't something you would do yourself, especially one under warrenty. This most definitely isn't like the standard windows tower where you take the side off and pop the drive out with two screws.

Don't forget to make an appointment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7Ghz Quad Core i5, 1Tb HD, 4GB 1333 MHz DDDR3 SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics, OSX, 21.5"
Thank you for your reply, cptkrf. I fully intend to make an appointment and take it in, I was just wondering how long it would take. Can I expect to leave it with them for a day, a week, two weeks, etc.? The length of time will decide which store I call to make the appointment.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I'm actually happy to find out I don't qualify - I definitely wasn't looking forward to packing up this iMac and carting it into the Apple store.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Same here, even though our local Apple store is only 10 minutes away from my home. Lugging an iMac around makes you appreciate a MacBook or MacBook Pro - but other than that, I love working on the iMac so much more!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Thank you for your reply, cptkrf. I fully intend to make an appointment and take it in, I was just wondering how long it would take. Can I expect to leave it with them for a day, a week, two weeks, etc.? The length of time will decide which store I call to make the appointment.

Make a COMPLETE backup first!!!

jif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac i5 (2010)  iPad2  iPhone5  iPhone 4S  Apple TV2  iP
whats causing the issues with this small batch of seagate HD's ??

I got my iMac in april, now when I've checked, my HD doesn't require replacing. Is that a good thing or a bad thing ?

my purchase date is very close to this bad batch of drives

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Make a COMPLETE backup first!!!

Done. I'm a backup Nazi. I have Time Machine running and check it regularly, plus I did a second backup prior to upgrading to Lion. I've since continued the second backup daily and my most important files are saved on thumb drives or other computers or online.

I called the Apple store this morning and was told it would take 5 to 7 days to swap the hard drive. I first have to make an appointment at the Genius Bar and drop off my iMac before they can order the hard drive. I was hoping that since this is a recall of a specific hard drive, they would have a few of these drives on hand. I will literally spend more time driving than the tech will handling my machine.

My other option as suggested by the Apple employee was to wait and see if the hard drive actually fails and then make an appointment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.