Find hard drive space in Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I installed Lion the other day and I can't seem to find how much space I have left on the hard drive. When I had snow leopard I just had to click on Finder and the space was on the bottom of the window. Any ideas? Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
You are not alone. I found it finally the other day when i wanted to know how much free space my network drives had. While in finder, press command / and that will invoke the same old status bar at the bottom of each finder window. Alternatively, you can go to about this mac more info and click storage, if you like how finder looks without it.

[edited for ipod typos]

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
You are not alone. I found it finally the other day when i wanted to know how much free space my network drives had. While in finder, press command / and that will invoke the same old status bar at the bottom of each finder window. Alternatively, you can go to about this mac more info and click storage, if you like how finder looks without it.

Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
/bows humbly before you

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the "other" segment depicts within the System Profile - Storage view?

It shows that I only have 700MB free on a 320GB drive. Furthermore it also states that half of it occupied by "other" content. However, on the bottom of my finder it shows 36GB free.

bug?

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

[edited for ipod typos]

You made my day (well… some minutes at least :) )
Again THANKS!

Reaction score
1270300 said:
I installed Lion the other day and I can't seem to find how much space I have left on the hard drive. When I had snow leopard I just had to click on Finder and the space was on the bottom of the window. Any ideas? Thanks

As someone stated you can do (Command + /)
Or you can goto: View -> Show Status Bar

Note: the number in Finder does not show the local backups, since the system may reclaim that space as it gets full

To see how much space your drive is actually using, use Disk Utility (or go to Apple -> About this Mac -> More Info -> Storage)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does anyone know what the "other" segment depicts within the System Profile - Storage view?

If you check the blog there was a post about this recently. I can't seem to find the link at the moment. Also, are you using a portable Mac with Time Machine. Under Lion if it cannot find the Time Machine drive the backup files are stored on the internal drive until you get back to the Time Machine drive. I think that space shows up in some utilities and not others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.