thoughts on mac os x lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 macbook pro I7 2.66ghz 8gb ram and 500gb hd, mac mini 2011 i5
hey guys i am new to the forums and i wanted to ask what are peoples thoughts and opinions on mac os x lion?

i think so far since i had a clean download and install it runs great.
but there are some things that im not used to yet which will just have to take some getting used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Frankly, I've been disappointed.

First, the color scheme is too drab and gray. Colors make action buttons stand out... now everything is gray...Gray scroll bars without a hint of gradient or 3D effect, gray search bar in Safari, gray Finder icons, gray linen at the login screen... even Windows Aero looks more interesting and inviting now, and I thought Apple really had it over Microsoft in the design department. It doesn't look good in an Apple Store to see so much colorlessness all around you.

They've tried so hard to lure iOS users in and adopt so many iPhone and iPad features that they forgot that a computer is NOT a portable device. What's so revolutionary about LaunchPad when the Dock already did a fine job of accessing applications? Mission Control is a nice idea, but it looks too jumbled and messy compared to Expose. It makes sense to have disappearing, unobtrusive scroll bars on a mobile device with limited screen real estate, but it is really necessary on a desktop or notebook computer?

There are way too many gestures that don't do much besides scatter windows around, and the trackpad gesture I used the most, four finger swipe for the App Switcher, is gone!

If you try to make an application full screen on an external monitor, it shifts back to your desktop screen and goes full screen there where I don't need it. This is a serious flaw for those professionals who use dual displays for their work.

And now I have to buy a new copy of MS Office because the PPC version is no longer supported. Why couldn't Rosetta carry over to Lion?

It's dismaying that the "revolutionary" new features are those that just serve to replicate a mobile device while the truly useful features have been overlooked or eliminated. I love Macs and every version of OS X that has been released, but I'm really underwhelmed with Lion. I hope that future updates will fix some of these things, but I'm afraid other things are here to stay.

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
true

the color is a good thing that you pointed out, it is true but knowing apple we just have to give them some time until they fix the things that their users dont like and the things you said are very true, the fact that we had to pay 30 dollars for this is crazy just to include things my ipod touch or an ipad can do is crazy.... apple needs to get the desktop os to stay and desktop os and not move into and ios because i bought my laptop to have and working os and not one with 8 different ways to get to my apps and mission control as you said is a mess over time i hope they fix it or do something we all hope get rid of it.... but for now i guess im going to stay strong and keep lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Yeah, like it or not, it's always best to have the most up to date OS and the only upside I can see is that maybe I'm helping to bring attention to these issues in hopes of getting them fixed sooner or later. Seriously, a little color and a few thoughtful workflow implementations could make this the best OS X ever, but for now I'm not terribly impressed.

I also noticed that the dialogue buttons and things are less rounded and more squarish, making it all look too much like Windows for my taste.

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow i thought i was the only one that thought that is was more squarish and it lost the roundness but yes the more people that know about was wrong will let apple know to fix it. and no matter what os x will be better then windows but right now the visuals and color is alot better on windows but give it time apple will make us happy =)

i also did not like the whole reverse scrolling i took that off right away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm actually giving that a shot for now. The thing is, if you use multiple Macs and Windows computers, it's hard to keep readjusting to the trackpads.

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yah at this point i have my mac and a dell and a mac mini in my dads office at home and its very confusing to jump back and forth. but i bet by next weej apple is going to have an update to fix these issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Yeah, like it or not, it's always best to have the most up to date OS

The same goes for software which is why they didn't carry Rosetta forward. It was around 5 years ago that Apple switched to Intel, PPC apps have no place any longer in a modern Mac OS.

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i can agree those apps are very old and we have to move into the modern os

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I also noticed that Front Row is missing. It was never the most jaw-dropping application, but I did like using it with my Apple Remote. Grrr...

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow thats crazy i used it when i use my apple remote wow they should bring that back

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There have been many things I have liked starting with the swipe to move forward or backward a page in Safari. I also like the resume function that allows me to easily pick up where I left off. I do wish they would have left the Yesterday, today etc smart searches in the sidebar. And there is too much gray.

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am loving those features too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
All I can say is that Im glad it wasn't more than 30 bucks. Otherwise I'd be really ticked.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I saw a post on another forum which says that if you cannot access your TM drive it creates a backup file on your HD until you have access to its usual drive. If that checks out it would be sweet.

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yah it was good it wasnt alot of money and im not sure about the hardrive thing your talking about?.?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I saw a post on another forum which says that if you cannot access your TM drive it creates a backup file on your HD until you have access to its usual drive. If that checks out it would be sweet.

I normally keep my Time Machine drive unattached until I'm ready to backup. The only thing different that I've noticed is that the TM icon in the top menu changes to one with an exclamation mark in it. Once the TM drive is attached it returns to normal.

I can find no evidence of TM creating a backup file on my hard drive while the external drive is not attached.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Disappointed the installer is not available for copying to a thumb drive or DVD as I was in hospital Thursday release day Down Under, and my son updated for me and proceeded to do install from Dock alas. Only way seems to be another AU$31.99 and download another copy unless someone has suggestions for copying after install?

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I normally keep my Time Machine drive unattached until I'm ready to backup. The only thing different that I've noticed is that the TM icon in the top menu changes to one with an exclamation mark in it. Once the TM drive is attached it returns to normal.

I can find no evidence of TM creating a backup file on my hard drive while the external drive is not attached.

well i do get the same icon and it is quite annyoing but yah i dont thing it says to ur hd

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just download it again Harry. You shouldn't have to pay a second time since we're allowed 5 installs with the same App store ID. Once it's downloaded, go ahead and make a boot DVD and boot flash drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.