thoughts on mac os x lion?

Reaction score
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

I used to be able to open Spaces and it would show me both my left and right hand monitors on 16 different desktops all at the same time.

Now, it only shows the left hand monitor on each one.

For instance, if I have iTunes, Safari and Chrome open on desktops number 2, 6 and 9 on my right hand monitor only, when I click on Spaces it doesn't show up at all.. There's just 16 blank desktops to choose from. I can hover the mouse over the desktops and it tells me which ones are which but anything that's opened up on the secondary monitor desktops can't be seen.

The Mission Control panel only has a limited number of options to choose from.
There's 3 checkboxes for various functions and 8 pull down menus.
None of those checkboxes or menus has an option to display both my left and right monitors when you activate spaces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Can you take a screenshot? When I open Mission Control I see all the desktops on my laptop on my laptop and all the desktops on my LCD on my LCD. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do?

Reaction score
Yup...

This screenshot shows both my monitors with Spaces activated. On the top of the window it shows 16 desktops. However, it's only showing my left hand monitor on each one of them. I've actually got several applications open on desktops 2, 6, 9 and 16 but they aren't showing on the Spaces screen because they're all open on my second monitor.
http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/screenshotnumber1.jpg

This screen shot shows the Mission Control panel. There's several options for various effects etc.. but no options to get Spaces to show me both my left and right monitors when it's activated.

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/screenshot2.jpg

So basically right now, if I want to figure out which desktop I have iTunes open on, the only way to find it is to manually go through each desktop.
Or let's say I wanted to drag iTunes to desktop number two's second monitor. You can't do it anymore cause the right hand desktop is hidden.

Reaction score
Crap.... never mind.

I just realized they're on both monitors now. duh.

I'm used to all 16 desktops being side by side. Now they've got it separated on the left and right monitors.

Thanks dude.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I also noticed that Front Row is missing. It was never the most jaw-dropping application, but I did like using it with my Apple Remote. Grrr...

Well hopefully this is a fix for those with a Front Row Fixation.

I have found a Front Row Enabler for Lion 10.7

Front Row Enabler for Lion - Mac-Hatter Consulting, LLC. and the dl file is bottom left of page.

One gripe i do have is with Safari.with the finger swipe forward and back, now with the page switcher (btw i love the way you can control the movement) is when you go back it doesn't reload the page.
Example : I have hit the profile button here in M-F and takes me to subscribed threads. I click a thread and read it. Don't want to reply, now OLD SAFARI i could swipe back and the thread i just went to is not in the list :D now with NEW SAFARI i switch the page back (its a cool movement lol ;P) and it gives me the whole list again. SameI do this in the Get New Forum read a thread and swipe back but now it doesn't even highlight the thread as being read :(
Am i missing something ?? I don't think i have missed anything in this thread. If thats the way it is Mmmmm well i might look at Chrome or forbid FF lol.
Note : I have looked in Preferences and there is nothing there that i have missed, as far as i know anyways :)

Cheers

Reaction score
Good News

Well the good news for me is everything works as it did before the upgrade. Considering i am on a first generation MacPro I was happy about that and Safari spell check has some enhancements also keeps tabs open on re-start.

Interface is the way i set it up before so i didn't notice much, never cared for 3d interfaces though many do. I really like the whole scheme this way.

Finder, LaunchPad and Mission Control are much more useful than the previous OS versions Widgets or whatever they called them.

Overall much better than Snow Leopard upgrade was. I used Grandperspective to see what i could move or get rid of and after install i checked for things to get rid of again, this time deleting language packs with CleanApp then used iDefrag. Unfortunately i still need to figure out how to fully defragment the boot drive but it sure looks like it consolidates data but to be honest i only defrag one a year because i just think overdefragging eats up drives no real proof though.

The only disappointed i have had with Apple is Final Cut Pro X...luckily i just stuck with FCS3.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that link. I have not used Front Row a lot but I like the simplicity. I would probably use it more but its taking some time to get the content the way I want it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I've monitored other Apple forums and noted more Cons than Pros for OS Lion.
Since I finally updated my '07 MBP to SL back in April, I think I'll wait for the 10.7.5 update or update 2 years from now... which ever comes first.

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 macbook pro I7 2.66ghz 8gb ram and 500gb hd, mac mini 2011 i5
is front row gone forever? lol

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I wouldn't wait that long. Remember that in most forums you hear more of the negative comments than positive ones. It has been out for less than a week I think we are still in the phase of working out which things are bugs, which can be corrected through visible and invisible preferences, and which features are not ready for prime time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
is front row gone forever? lol

Not if you read and dl the file in the link i provided a few posts above to enable it again ;P, but if you mean as in Lion, yep its gone.

Cheers

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-__- thats dymb i used to use it with the remote

Reaction score
To the people who were complaining about the dull and gray backgrounds - there IS a way to fix it. You CAN change the backgrounds of Mission Control AND Dashboard, seeing as though I've done so and informed my friends with Macs how to do the same thing. It just takes a little digging.
I'm just a little disappointed that Flash isn't working correctly. My friends and I sometimes like to get on Chatroulette (which doesn't work for me at all anymore no matter what Internet Browser I tried) and my friend Tosha can't seem to get Omegle to work (with Safari).

OP
alainay4957
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
how did u do the more color ?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you install the latest Flash in Lion? Do remember there is no Flash installed by default.

Reaction score
Did you install the latest Flash in Lion? Do remember there is no Flash installed by default.

I believe so. I'm pretty sure I updated to the most recent version but I know it isn't just me having troubles with Flash when using websites like those.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2010 15" MBP; late 2012 11" MBA; iPhone 5
Likes - better Mail app; I look forward to Versions coming to Word; better search options systemwide; swiping to go back/forward in Safari.

Not as happy about - removal of 4-finger swipe to show running apps (liked it more than Command-Tab); removal of 4-finger upward swipe to show desktop (is there a one-gesture swipe that does this in Lion? Maybe I missed it); not as easy to drag windows from one desktop space to another, as it was in SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not as happy about - removal of 4-finger swipe to show running apps (liked it more than Command-Tab); removal of 4-finger upward swipe to show desktop (is there a one-gesture swipe that does this in Lion? Maybe I missed it); not as easy to drag windows from one desktop space to another, as it was in SL.

You can modify the default gestures in Lion, or verify what they all are under your Trackpad/Mouse preferences in System Preferences. There you can turn them on or off and modify them to your liking.

lion%20gestures.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.