Help with Choosing New Router ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
I need some advice on which Router to buy ... I've been using the D-Links 655 for about one year now, but need a new Router, because it will no longer allow me to set up a Schedule.

I've contacted D-Links Tech Support many times. They said my old Router is defective and sent out a replacement two times. Received the second one today, but neither one will allow any of our wireless devices to connect.

So, I'm sending the second new Router back, and keeping the old one, so at least we can all connect online.

I need to be able to set up a Schedule to limit Internet use for my youngest son. The old Router was working just fine with the Schedule for several weeks, but now we cannot get a Schedule to work again.

I also need a Router that will allow us to set up the maximum security, as people were hacking into our Internet connection and downloading illegal files.

What would be some good Routers to consider? I also need very good Tech Support, and if possible an Extended Warranty ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
1.) Set up your D-link with you as admin then make sure encryption is set to WPA2
that has not been hacked to the best of my knowledge (with numbers and letters).
2.) I suspect your admin privileges if set at all might have been used thats why I suggest you and only you try admin with password for a few days.
3.)AS far as I know most modern routers will have some form of MAC filtering and some even lists parental controls if not guest accounts where things can be limited.
4.) Set up your existing router again using suggestion above.

OP
vja4Him
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 2.93 GHz - 10.6.8
1.) Set up your D-link with you as admin then make sure encryption is set to WPA2
that has not been hacked to the best of my knowledge (with numbers and letters).
2.) I suspect your admin privileges if set at all might have been used thats why I suggest you and only you try admin with password for a few days.
3.)AS far as I know most modern routers will have some form of MAC filtering and some even lists parental controls if not guest accounts where things can be limited.
4.) Set up your existing router again using suggestion above.

I already have my Router set up like that. Haven't had any problems with security (that I know of) since (probably at least six months now).

I still need a new Router though, so I can set up a Schedule to limit my son's Internet use ....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.