• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Lodsys up to their old tricks again...

Reaction score
Angry Birds maker Rovio sued over app patents

It seems like Lodsys would patent having to turn a computer on before you use it if they could get away with it!

What happened to needing to actually come-up with a specific concept before you can patent it, rather than just being able to patent a vague (& often self-evidently vital to the use of any relevant device) idea?

They're the Thomas Edison of the computer age... :Not-Amused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
As far as I am concerned they should have to show financial hardship from a product that is not selling because the other one is just like it.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Not at all... I saw the story on the BBC News website, and composed the post myself...

No - I meant the jab at Thomas Edison from a Brit...bring that into IRC ;P

OP
I
Reaction score
I meant the jab at Thomas Edison from a Brit...
Well, I assure you, my dig at him has nothing to do with his being American & my being British, if an American invents something I'll gladly acknowledge it; as I believe in giving credit where credit's due...

And it's for that exact same reason of believing credit for an invention should rest with the person who actually invented it that I deeply dislike Edison ;) That, and he electrocuted an elephant just to try to discredit the superior AC system in favour of his primitive DC system :Not-Amused:

Vive la Tesla!!! :Cool:

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
...if an American invents something I'll gladly acknowledge it...

if...? Oh - you're definitely IRC material - and believe me - Rob needs your help. Come in and get what's coming... ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.