Desperate help needed with safari and internet explorer

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone could help me.

I got an iMac G5 2 days ago and it is my first mac since swapping over from windows so you can probably guess im useless.

But whats going on is that im clicking om safari, its doimg the little bounce it does and then doesnt come up at all! Its really winding me up i have tried everything!! I need help??!!

And for internet explorer when im onlime there is only limited sites i can go on because it doesnt load properly. E.g on the apple site where it says 'Mac, Ipod, iphone .. Etc. Instead of it beimg there its in blue highlighted writing going down the left hand side of the page.

Someone help so i can just have a normal inrer

Reaction score
was it "formatted" so it had a fresh copy of the operating system on it without all the gunk?

---

If the safari icon keeps bouncing up and down but doesn't open anything I would suggest you remove that icon by click-hold-drag out of the dock onto your desktop and it'll blow up and remove itself from your dock.
Then maybe go into "applications" folder and finding out whether or not the "safari" icon in that folder is working and if it is dragging it from that folder into your dock (as if you were dropping a desktop shortcut on windows except this time into the dock bar of the mac). :)

As for your I.E i'm not too sure what you're getting at.

OP
A
Reaction score
Yeah i got it basically brand new. All the discs have been put in that i got with it.

Okay i have done that but how do i check if its a shortcut etc??

You will know what i mean if you saw it happens all the time on windows when the page doesnt load correctly and its all on once side of the page?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I would be interested to know how you got Internet Explorer to run in OSX.

OP
A
Reaction score
I have no idea its there anyway it kind of works but the page never loads up properly.

I really need safari to come on guys :(

Reaction score
I would be interested to know how you got Internet Explorer to run in OSX.

Older versions of IE used to support Mac platforms before Windows officially rid of it.

Okay i have done that but how do i check if its a shortcut etc??

It's not a shortcut per-say.

Go to your Applications folder and open Safari from there to see if it works from there. If it does keep it open and do it like this;

1) Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 6.33.35 AM.png

Otherwise you can do it the long way before you open it and try it. It's more like you're dragging the app into your docks bar. Here's a couple of screenshots to help you along:

1) Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 6.27.40 AM.png

2) Screen Shot 2011-07-23 at 6.29.15 AM.png

---

Could also just be your Mac is currently overwhelmed with activity so programs take a little longer to open than usual?

You could also try Google Chrome as an alternative I suppose.

---

Hinter: Everything you open in a Mac ultimately has an icon and bounces up and down in your dock bar, if you want to keep it in the dock for the future to get quick access all you have to do is right click the icon in the dock and hover over options and then select "keep in dock".

---

OP
A
Reaction score
okay thankyou. i sort have got it to work now but when i go on facebook for example, its not loading the text properly and it wont let me log in because of this?

can i download apps for this or is it different??

Reaction score
Hmm, I would recommend you do a software update as well just to see if there's a fix or patch available. If you go up to the Apple logo in the top left hand corner of your screen it should be the second option if you click on it; "Software Update".

Last I checked if you had the latest software updates you would've gotten the "App Store" which is right underneath the "Software Update" option in the top right. You can download "apps" that feed your Facebook notifications/updates through just sort of like if you were using an iPod/iPhone/iPad.

However, since Safari is a net browser it's probably best you get that completely fixed first.

Like I said, it could just come down to there being too much load on the system and it's a bit slower in performance - though if the rest of your apps open and run "smoothly" you shouldn't really see a problem. Try running through to a heavy-content site that requires processing power (so say like youtube) and see if that runs smoothly for you.

----

Otherwise like I said, try another internet browser? Google Chrome is equally as good though I know people who will say otherwise, otherwise there's options such as Firefox and Opera.

IE you will find won't work well with Mac because Microsoft stopped catering their later editions of IE to MAC OSX.

:)

---

Oh by the way, Macs aren't usually this frustrating. Probably not a good start for a first timer I'd say, but no worries. :)

OP
A
Reaction score
just attempted youtube and it just closed my safari down full stop. so i went back on and typed google chrome and it says the bill of .... something, wasnt available. same for anything else that i try to download?

Reaction score
Oh wow.

Care to screen cap what it says or pops up with? The shortcut on a mac keyboard is "command + shift + 4".

Reaction score
Oh hold on, I think I know why. A lot of the programs you'd be downloading at the moment (eg. google chrome) doesn't actually support a G5 Processor, only intel+ - even though you have one of the latest operating systems.

If you go up to Apple Logo and click on "About This Mac" it'll tell you what version of Mac OSX you're running and what processor you're using and you'll have to find prior compatible programs to run with your processor & operating system.

---

Anyone else care to share some light?

OP
A
Reaction score
if i knew how to attach the picture to here i would do it haha can you tell me how?

you will see in a sec but i have just tried downloading opera, firefox and virtual dj and they all say the following discs failed to mount

Reaction score
do a "post reply" rather than a quick reply. the "post reply" is right under and between the latest post and the quick reply box on the left.

where you can choose your formatting for the post there should be a little paperclip next to the smiley face emoticon selection icon thingy (lol).

just click on that and it'll take you to the upload thingy -> choose your file -> upload -> then when it's done it'll show you that you've uploaded something -> top right hand corner "close window".

it'll take you back to the post box, go to the paperclip again and click on the down arrow next to it and just click on your screen cap. :)

---

and yeah the only reason I can think of at the moment is the fact that it's not software that's compatible with your processor..
...or...
there could be a possibility there is something wrong with your disc and you'll need to do a disc repair.

but the latter someone else should probably recommend too before you do it because I'm not even sure that the latter is the problem.

Reaction score
...umm what OS X are you running? o_O

Most software nowadays require at least 10.5+ you'll be hard-pressed to find any under that.

Mmm, you'll definitely have to backtrack and find the right software. Probably why your safari doesn't work top notch either if it's one of the more recent editions you've gotten for your Mac.

Firefox 2 will work for anything under OS X 10.4.
Had a look on filehippo for you; Download Firefox 2.0.0.20 - FileHippo.com
There's a link to the last Firefox 2 release...try downloading that I suppose and if that still doesn't work I'm lost for ideas.. =\

---

As for your picture, the only time i've encountered the error "no mountable file systems" is when there hasn't been a full download where it's been truncated/non-completed/damaged or whatnot.

OP
A
Reaction score
I am actually running 10.3.9 :/ thats why aint it
I will have to get 10.4 tiger from online or one of my friends if they have it

thankyou very much for all your help mate
really appreciate it

anthony

Reaction score
Crabby, so sorry, it was like 4am when I posted that up where I am here and I've had no sleep so I forgot it was a macosx platform lol.

Download Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.20 - Mac.OldApps.com

Try that for the mac download of firefox 2.0 :p.

---

Haha yeah, you might want to bring yourself up to date for most of the programs that are coming up now, most of them either support 10.4+ or 10.5+. And it wouldn't hurt for you to do a fresh install when you do get a later OSX, at least that way you know you installed it and what you did :).

OP
A
Reaction score
Hahaha sorry friend. its currently 08:25am here in england mate.

So my friend told me there was a free download for the OS X 10.4.11 Tiger, he give me the site and i downloaded it and when it got onto the installer it said this..

View attachment Picture 1.pdf

Help??

OP
A
Reaction score
And also i have just noticed that when i do buy OS X Tiger 10.4 i will have to buy snow leopard 10.5 :/ why cant they be free i have to spend all this money on updates

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.