Desperate help needed with safari and internet explorer

C

chas_m

Look, it's really much more simple than you're making it out to be.

You have two options:

1. Return the G5 -- it's VERY old in computer terms, you never made clear why you bought it in the first place.

2. Spend money upgrading it. There's no way around that, you're going to have to spend money upgrading it.

If you choose path #1, get an Intel Mac from 2007 or newer (Core2Duo). Don't get a Core Duo or Core Solo. Once you have that, buy Snow Leopard, do the updates, then move on to Lion if you want to.

If you prefer path #2, you'll need to buy a copy of the retail Leopard DVD, which will likely cost you $120 or thereabouts (it's quite rare now). You'll probably also want to max out the RAM. Install Leopard, do the updates to 10.5.8 and you should be fine for a while, remembering that most new programs won't run on your machine. There's still plenty of good stuff for G5 Macs out there, at least for a while yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
My g5 came with ie... Get a new os, it will take 10.5 and 10.5 can run almost modern browsers

Reaction score
Look, it's really much more simple than you're making it out to be.

You have two options:

1. Return the G5 -- it's VERY old in computer terms, you never made clear why you bought it in the first place.

2. Spend money upgrading it. There's no way around that, you're going to have to spend money upgrading it.

If you choose path #1, get an Intel Mac from 2007 or newer (Core2Duo). Don't get a Core Duo or Core Solo. Once you have that, buy Snow Leopard, do the updates, then move on to Lion if you want to.

If you prefer path #2, you'll need to buy a copy of the retail Leopard DVD, which will likely cost you $120 or thereabouts (it's quite rare now). You'll probably also want to max out the RAM. Install Leopard, do the updates to 10.5.8 and you should be fine for a while, remembering that most new programs won't run on your machine. There's still plenty of good stuff for G5 Macs out there, at least for a while yet.

That is true - I was just trying to work around there because I for one know that when you get a computer you don' want to know straight away that you either have to return it or spend an extra couple hundred dollars doing it up. Especially if you're new to the particular system.

OP
A
Reaction score
i understand.

i have bought tiger 10.4 because i thought i would have had to get that then get leopard afterwards? but it doesnt matter?

dont need to get at me guys im new to mac, i have always wanted one and now i have got it and you are helping me out and i appreciate that.

C

chas_m

If you buy a RETAIL disk of Leopard, you don't need Tiger first. You can update from 10.3.9 straight to Leopard (10.5.0) and then Apple's Software Update will take you as far as it can (10.5.8). You will probably need to run Software Update *multiple times* after installing Leopard until it reports that you are completely up-to-date.

OP
A
Reaction score
Ok so i now have Tiger. I put the disc in, clicked install and it said restart computer to install and as it came back on all this encryption came on the page and it says hold the power down and restart it and i have tried this severel times but it keeps coming to this page. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
11" MacBook Air / Unibody MacBook / iMac i3 21.5" / iPhone SE
Sounds as if you have a kernel panic, something screwed in your system or hardware.
If you haven't got too much data to lose I would start again, carry out a disk check from the DVD then format the hard drive and do a fresh installation.

Whereabouts are you in the UK? There may be someone nearby willing to help.
If you get desperate you could always pm me and I'll try and talk you through the installation procedure.

Cheers :)

Hugh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.