DVD Reader/Writer for MBA

Reaction score
I see a lot of negative comments about the Apple MacBook Air SuperDrive. Would I be better off to buy a generic drive (Samsung)?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can find negative reviews on any product made! :D

I have not heard anything particularly bad about the Apple External DVD drive for the Air besides maybe the $$$.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. The Liteon ETAU208-96 Top Load DVD/CD Writer Black has been recommended and it only costs $39.95.

After spending that much for the MBA I gotta squeeze some pennies somewhere :).

Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Be careful what you buy. Not all external writers work with the MacBook Air. That's why Apple sells theirs for the $$ price.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Be careful what you buy. Not all external writers work with the MacBook Air. That's why Apple sells theirs for the $$ price.

That is also what I have heard many times.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. It says it is Mac compatible. If not, I will return it as defective.

Regards,

Mike

C

chas_m

"Mac" compatible = every optical drive out there sold by anybody.

"MacBook Air" compatible = different kettle of fish. Needs very specific power requirements, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
The MacBook Air Superdrive is specific to the MBA. There are "mediations" which we do not discuss around here to get it to work on other systems. There are other drives which work on the MBA, some of with require "mediations" as well. Unless you find one that without a doubt works on the MBA, I'd stick with Apple. Some require soldering, custom ROMS/Firmware/etc... I have been running MBAs (every revision of the top model offered) since they came out. I have exchanged a bunch of drives trying to find a "cheap" one to just leave at work. In the end, the Apple Superdrive has in my experience worked best. It's also covered under your MBAs Applecare warranty if I recall correctly. Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.