2 macs or 1?

Reaction score
I am looking to switch to Macs from PCs.

Yes, plural, and I am looking for suggestions.

90% of my work is documents, email, and web. I occasionally edit video, and play WOW.

90% of my work is also done at home. When I am at a client site, I never play games or edit video.

Money is not the constraint, but I don't like to waste it.

So I was thinking a 15" MacBook Pro, with the big display at home. But that will cost $2649. + $1000 for the display.

Or the 13" air, and the display, and a mini at home as well for when I need the graphics power. $1299 + $1249 + $1000.

Or get the big iMac, and an air to take to the clients. $1699 + $1299.

Options, options.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I would do the iMac for home and MBA to take to the clients.
Remember, the Air does not have a disc drive so you can either get an external disc drive to take with you if needed, or get the 13" MBP instead of the Air.

The newest iMacs and MBPs can be found in Apple's online Refurbished store. These are good-as-new and will save you some $$$. They come with the same 1 yr warranty and option to purchase additional 2 year Apple Care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
I'd say the last option is your best bet. the big iMac is the same exact display plus far more power than the MBP. You could even jump up to the 1999 iMac which is a real workhorse and will pretty much handle just about anything you throw at it. But I definitely advise not going with the mini if you're going to get the thunderbold display anyway. And remember any of the current gen MBAs/MBPs can be connected to the iMac for use as a display via thunderbolt.

Reaction score
I second the opinions above (or 'third' since I am the third to respond).

If you don't need something super fast for the road, have a look into the refurbished section. Maybe you can find something decent for a good price! iMac as first choice for sure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.