macbook air sound quality

Reaction score
I've compared INTERNAL speaker sound quality of the new 13" macbook air to the previous gen 13" macbook air and noticed the older version has a punchier/fuller sound. the new gen is more "tinny". has anyone noticed this or can explain?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Air i5 processor w/ Lion OS
Reviews that I have read compared the sound of the old MBA to be very similar, if not the same, to the MBP. I havent had a chance to listen to the sound on my new MBA, but its sitting in the box on the counter ready for me when I get home.

Im guessing the sound not be as good because they shoved the backlit keyboard in there. (The speakers may be smaller, and/or the enclosure doesnt do as well with soundwaves with less space) I could be wrong though.

OP
M
Reaction score
ya, all the reviews have said the sound quality should be the same. I haven't found a direct comparison but I just tested it again and there is a noticeable difference. I'm just wondering if its just my laptop that sounds this way and if I should have it checked out. I'm going to call support to see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, Ill compare my MBA to my brothers MBP and let you know. Everything I have read prior states that the sound quality should be pretty comparable. Apple may have sacraficed this to add all the new stuff though. :/

OP
M
Reaction score
just spoke to support. apparently there is some sort of recall or notice about the sound quality of the new macbook airs. i'll be taking it in for exchange of a fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are they swapping out the whole computer or just fixing them? Mines still brand new so I wont start installing software or anything depending on what they are doing to fix it.

OP
M
Reaction score
although support said they may be able to fix it i will request an exchange considering its only 1 day old.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gotcha. I will test mine as soon as I start it up I guess. Thanks for the update!

OP
M
Reaction score
took it in and there is an "engineering notice" about the sound from external speakers on some new macbook airs. mine would have been exchanged - but they were sold out. another couple days before I get it but hopefully no more issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I set my air next to my brothers 09 Macbook Pro and we played the same song in sync. Sound quality is the exact same, although his MBP was only at 75% volume when mine was at 95% or so.

Only problem Ive had so far was my tab key had a scratch in it where the backlight was shining through. I took it to the apple store figuring they would just pop the key off, but they replaced the whole computer. I kinda felt bad for complaining about something so small, but Apple definitely has some awesome customer service. Never did I expect a new computer.

OP
M
Reaction score
exchanged my air and the speaker quality is still not as good as the 2010 13". im surprised no one has noted this in any reviews.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.