Upgrading HDD in 2010 27" imac

Reaction score
Hi, im sure some people out there have done this.... i have a 2010 27" imac (the quad core 2.8ghz i5) and i want to upgrade the standard 1tb to a 2tb drive, i know from several forums that i need the replace it with a drive of the same brand due to the tempurature sensor, the drive in the imac is a western digital... But i cannot find a list anywhere telling me for sure than a drive with be compatible with the imac, so can i be certain that if i buy the WD cavier green 2tb will have the same temp sensor port and will be 100% compatible and not cause my HDD fan to run at full speed, has anyone done this and can give me any advice??

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the links, the one about the HDD confirmed what i thought about the temp sensor, do you think any current WD drive will be compatible?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I have absolutely no intentions to break apart my iMac to upgrade the 1TB drive since it isn't trivial..so I have no idea if any WD will work, or if you need a certain model or whatever..

Presumably, the link I provided to the 2TB drive is the one iFixit suggests that works..so that's probably a safe bet..beyond that I have no clue..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for the links, the one about the HDD confirmed what i thought about the temp sensor, do you think any current WD drive will be compatible?

Like Raz0rEdge I can't confirm whether or not the drives that ifixit has will work correctly. According to OWC and other sources, it's not only the type and make of the drive that has to be the same, but it also involves firmware.

Personally if it were me, I would check with Apple to make sure the drive will work correctly. And as you've been informed, opening up an iMac to change out a hard drive is not an easy task and may in fact void your warranty. Again, check with Apple.

OP
J
Reaction score
Like Raz0rEdge I can't confirm whether or not the drives that ifixit has will work correctly. According to OWC and other sources, it's not only the type and make of the drive that has to be the same, but it also involves firmware.

Personally if it were me, I would check with Apple to make sure the drive will work correctly. And as you've been informed, opening up an iMac to change out a hard drive is not an easy task and may in fact void your warranty. Again, check with Apple.

Thanks for your advice, i was not aware of the firmware issue, i think i will give it a miss unless it becomes essential for me to have than 1tb inside the machine

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
1TB is a good size hard drive and if you do find yourself running into situations where you need more space..you are probably better of looking into external HDs or NAS' as your solution..much easier to upgrade and mobile and all that good stuff..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.