Strange error message in Mac OSX Lion

Reaction score
Hello. So I just installed Mac OSX Lion and since then I keep getting this strange message telling me there was a problem connecting to the server. URLs with the type "file:" are not supported. Attached is a screenshot of the error problem. Not sure what that means because my Wi-Fi is fine, and everything else seems fine on my computer. I can get online perfectly. But that message popping up constantly is starting to irritate me.

Also, I changed my desktop picture, but on mission control my other desktop pictures are the default galaxy one. How do you make all your desktops the same one?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2011-07-22 at 1.20.09 AM.png

Reaction score
Not sure what the error is, you don't give much information as to what your Mac is doing when it happens.

As for the desktop image that's easy to sort out.

Go into Mission Control and delete the desktops with the Galaxy wallpaper. Once you've got rid of them replace them with new ones by clicking the + (add) button, top right of screen and the new desktops will have the same wallpaper as the main desktop.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks.

My mac basically isn't doing anything. Whether I have websites open or not, the message sporadically pops up. I can't figure it out. But nothing else is wrong.

Reaction score
Error Message

I keep getting the same error message as well. I delete it and it opens a second time then does not appear for some time then repeats. Happens even if the machine is just sitting there with no active app but seems to occur more frequently if Safari is open.

Reaction score
Thanks.

My mac basically isn't doing anything. Whether I have websites open or not, the message sporadically pops up. I can't figure it out. But nothing else is wrong.

Have you had a look in the logs to see what's going on?

Start the console, it's in the Utilities folder under Applications.

Can you post the relevant messages from the log when it happens, it will give us something to work on.

Reaction score
22/07/11 6:47:57.375 PM com.apple.backupd: Starting standard backup
22/07/11 6:47:58.000 PM kernel: nspace-handler-set-snapshot-time: 1311374879
22/07/11 6:47:59.045 PM com.apple.backupd: Error -35 while resolving alias to backup target
22/07/11 6:48:09.058 PM com.apple.backupd: Backup failed with error: 19

- this is what I think may be involved with the problem? (perhaps I am not too familiar with console ... I just noticed that these lines appeared around the time I was encountering the problem a number of times). Anyway I hope someone can help as the issue is proving annoying.Thanks.

Reaction score
22/07/11 6:47:57.375 PM com.apple.backupd: Starting standard backup
22/07/11 6:47:58.000 PM kernel: nspace-handler-set-snapshot-time: 1311374879
22/07/11 6:47:59.045 PM com.apple.backupd: Error -35 while resolving alias to backup target
22/07/11 6:48:09.058 PM com.apple.backupd: Backup failed with error: 19

OK this looks like a Time Machine problem. Where does Time Machine do your backups to?

Do you have a Time Capsule?

Do you use an external USB disk or does it back up over the network?

How is the drive formatted?

Apple didn't support Time Machine backups over the network unless it was to a Time Capsule. It was possible though. I used to do it to my HP NAS Drive but it wasn't as simple as pointing TM at the drive, you had to create a sparseimage and make sure the drive was mounted.

Perhaps something has changed in Lion and the old work arounds are no longer working as they used to. I no longer use my HP NAS drive for TM, I was getting short of space so I bought a Time Capsule for backups and got a load of space back on the HP Mediavault.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
Not sure about the NAS issue as I don't have one yet, although I am expecting one for my Birthday on Monday.

However, the point with the additional screens is that they gain the same image as that used on the main one at the time they were added. Therefore, if you added them and then changed the image on the main screen, the other ones will still have the image you had before.

As has already been stated, the solution is simple - delete the new ones and add some more. Alternatively, you can change the image on each screen if you wish. I use a different image on each, but you can of course use the same one if you wish.

I just wish it was possible to rename each screen :(

Reaction score
Hmmm it must be something to do with my time machine backup as I have turned off time machine and thus far have not enountered the problem again. It is odd as my time machine backup ran through a USB to my 1tb with no internet connection at all having ever been involved. I have not used my hard drive since I upgraded as I have been on holiday so maybe when I get back home and do a backup any issue with time machine will be laid to rest. thanks for the help

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem, and have already backed-up to Time Machine since I had my Lion installed a few days ago. Same problem recurs...

OP
A
Reaction score
Have you had a look in the logs to see what's going on?

Start the console, it's in the Utilities folder under Applications.

Can you post the relevant messages from the log when it happens, it will give us something to work on.

Which application is it? I'm scrolling through the utilities folder right now.

OP
A
Reaction score
Nevermind, I found it. It was console. Duh. Here's the log of what happened when the message popped up again:

7/24/11 1:21:03.148 PM com.apple.backupd: Starting standard backup
7/24/11 1:21:04.000 PM kernel: nspace-handler-set-snapshot-time: 1311538865
7/24/11 1:21:04.440 PM com.apple.backupd: Error -35 while resolving alias to backup target
7/24/11 1:21:14.504 PM com.apple.backupd: Backup failed with error: 19
7/24/11 1:21:23.671 PM Quicksilver: UKDirectoryEnumerator::nextObjectFullPath - MacOS Error ID= -42
7/24/11 1:21:23.709 PM Quicksilver: UKDirectoryEnumerator::nextObjectFullPath - MacOS Error ID= -42

And just for the record, I'm not sure where time machine backs up to. I believe it backs up over the network though, because I haven't used a USB port for it.

Reaction score
Nevermind, I found it. It was console. Duh. Here's the log of what happened when the message popped up again:

7/24/11 1:21:03.148 PM com.apple.backupd: Starting standard backup
7/24/11 1:21:04.000 PM kernel: nspace-handler-set-snapshot-time: 1311538865
7/24/11 1:21:04.440 PM com.apple.backupd: Error -35 while resolving alias to backup target
7/24/11 1:21:14.504 PM com.apple.backupd: Backup failed with error: 19
7/24/11 1:21:23.671 PM Quicksilver: UKDirectoryEnumerator::nextObjectFullPath - MacOS Error ID= -42
7/24/11 1:21:23.709 PM Quicksilver: UKDirectoryEnumerator::nextObjectFullPath - MacOS Error ID= -42

And just for the record, I'm not sure where time machine backs up to. I believe it backs up over the network though, because I haven't used a USB port for it.

Yes, it's a backup problem. As you can see from the console entries they are com.apple.backupd

As you can see in the third line your Mac can't resolve the alias for the target drive.

This is likely due to the way Lion has changed with regard to support for Samba, SMB. Apple has replaced it with its own version SMBX.

This will allow you to browse a device that uses SMB 1.0 but not connect. If the target device uses SMB 2.0 you can connect.

Go into Time Machine preferences and click on the Select Disk button and see what you get. See if you can select your back up drive and then see what happens.

If this doesn't fix it I'm not sure what the options are as I've not had this problem myself, all my devices are running SMB 2.0.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.