iPad 2 charger for iPod classic ... (?)

Reaction score
Can I use an iPad2 mains charger to charge my iPod Classic? Can I also use it to charge the little iPod (Nano?) I see that the white multi-connetor plug would fit into both devices.

Thanks in advance.

M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It would probably work but keep in mind the iPad charger puts out more power since the iPad requires a greater amount to charge its battery. Belkin has an iPod charger kit including two cables (for Shuffle, Nano, classic, etc.) for $24.95 at Target. That's what I use for all my iPods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I have used it on all my apple devices and it has not harmed them.

OP
M
Reaction score
Returning to the question which started this thread in 2011, I've been using my wife's iPad charger to charge my iPods (Classic and Nano) and this seems to work fine.

However, I've seen what's called a "USB Charging Base" at a German Tchibo store. This claims to be suitable for charging cameras, phones, MP3 players and tablets. It's a handy size and would be more convenient than carrying around a 13A adaptor plug plus a cumbersome UK 13A charger. The device in question states: charging current 2100 mA and voltage 5 v.

Can I safely use this charger for my iPod when I'm travelling? Would it also be suitable, if necessary, for my wife's iPad?

Thanks in advance.

M

OP
M
Reaction score
Apologies for cross-posting – this is similar to what I initially put on the iPad forum last year.

I've seen what's called a "USB Charging Base" at a German Tchibo store. This claims to be suitable for charging cameras, phones, MP3 players and tablets. It's a handy size and would be more convenient for Germany than a UK 13A adaptor plug and UK charger. The device in question states: charging current 2100 mA and voltage 5v.

Can I safely use this charger for iPods (Classic and Nano)? Would it also be suitable, if necessary, for an iPad2?

Thanks in advance …

M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it's a "smart" charger, then yes it can be used. The current capacity is certainly enough for an iPad and more than enough for iPods. Normally, the charging circuits on well made devices (Apple devices) will only draw what current is needed to charge its battery. Chargers with built in "smart" sense will limit that current so as to not overheat the device it's charging.

Edit:

And let's not cross post. Always go back to the original post since the subject is the same here. I merged the posts back together.

OP
M
Reaction score
Chargers for iPod / iPad

Thanks for your reply and for sorting out the cross-postings ... sorry about that.

There's nothing in the instructions that mentions 'smart charger'. The device consists of a mains plug which must have a charger built in. A USB cable is not supplied but the end of the mains plug / charger has a USB socket into which the iPod cable would fit. It cost 10€.

However, now that I think about it, the iPod charger which I bought separately from a Mac store is not marked with an Apple logo. On the other hand, the chargers for the MPB and the iPad2 both came within the Apple packaging for those latter two devices.

M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.