Applications Icon

Reaction score
There is an icon on the dock that looks like the Address Book icon but when you click it it opens a window with all the application icons. I accidentally took that icon off the dock and cannot find it and its not in the trash.

I tried to drag the Applications icon from the Macintosh HD folder onto the dock but it did not stay there.

Where can I find the icon to put back in the dock that opens window with all the applciations?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go to your "Applications" folder in Finder. Look for an application called "App Store.app". Drag it to the left side of the Dock separator and drop it there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I just tried it from both my hard drive, and from the side bar - and it stuck. The only time the application folder didn't stick is when I had an Application Folder already on the Dock. Is there an icon that has the Application "A" on it? If there is - right click (ctrl-click) on it and select Display As -> Stack , that will bring it back to "the address book"

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There is an icon on the dock that looks like the Address Book icon but when you click it it opens a window with all the application icons. I accidentally took that icon off the dock and cannot find it and its not in the trash.

Ivan: The only icon that resembles the Address Book icon is the Apple App store icon. (they both have an "A") I think that's what he meant.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Unless I'm missing something, the solution has not been offered yet.

I tried to drag the Applications icon from the Macintosh HD folder onto the dock but it did not stay there.

Where can I find the icon to put back in the dock that opens window with all the applciations?

That sounds like the Applications stack with "Display as Stack" selected. If I'm on the right track, the solution is to open your Macintosh HD folder and drag the Applications folder from there to the right side of the Dock. Then, if you want, you can right click on the Dock icon and select "Display as folder". That will cause the Address Book icon to go away, and just leave a folder icon With a stylized "A" on it.

And, as you discovered, when you remove things from the Dock, they don't go into the Trash. They just vanish. They're just "shortcuts" not actual folders. The "proper" name for them is Stacks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Ivan: The only icon that resembles the Address Book icon is the Apple App store icon. (they both have an "A") I think that's what he meant.

I know what you are talking about but as ToMACsh - and I pointed out - if you view the Application folder as a stack the first program in the stack is Address book - so the Application stack ends up looking like address book. Unless you have installed a program that would alphabetically come before Address Book - the stack view will show address book as the icon.

That was just my SWAG on what the OP was talking about as well - I could be wrong.

OP
M
Reaction score
That Got It !

toMACsh - you got it ... Placing the Application Icon on Right side of the dock did the trick.
Thanks
Bob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You're welcome. That's a commonly confused operation for novice or casual users. Glad you've increased your knowledge base. Don't hesitate to ask other questions. Just keep 'em as uncomplicated as this one! ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
I just tried it from both my hard drive, and from the side bar - and it stuck. The only time the application folder didn't stick is when I had an Application Folder already on the Dock. Is there an icon that has the Application "A" on it? If there is - right click (ctrl-click) on it and select Display As -> Stack , that will bring it back to "the address book"

Thank you!!! I was wondering why it looked like the address book icon. I toggle it from display as "stack" to display as "folder" and it looks "normal" now. lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.