wierd hard drive space issue

Reaction score
My 24" imac has the standard 640 gig hard drive. Disc utility(still running snow leopard) says that I have used 292 gigs. I have gone through all my files and folders and can only account for 157.15 gigs. I tried running onyx expecting the culprit was a bunch of junk that has gathered over time. Afterwards, I still had the same 292 gigs of used space and can only account 157.15 gigs. A complet format and reinstall will obviously solve this problem but I don't want to go to that extreme If its not really required.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
Any partitions on the drive?

OP
R
Reaction score
partions

Any partitions on the drive?

I have no known partitions. I will say this though. I did install lion and then restored snow leapord from a time machine back up. Lion did make a I believe is a recovery partition. I do not know if that partition still exists after a snow leopard time machine restore. disk utility only shows one volume on the drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
In directory / are there any old mac system folders? Time machine may have saved the lion install?

OP
R
Reaction score
directory

In directory / are there any old mac system folders? Time machine may have saved the lion install?

I won't be able to check that untill I get home from work. I did notice that after I finished the tme machine restore the original lion download was still in my application folder and the install icon was still on my dock.

OP
R
Reaction score
second install

I installed lion a second time. this time there were no issues. I no longer have unaccounted drive space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.