• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

UNIX Doomed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20'' 2.0GHz 2gb Ram 400gb HDD
I read recently that in the next 10-15 years UNIX systems will be totally dead and the only two OS'S remaining will be Windows and Linux, is there any truth in this?

Reaction score
it may change but it's not doomed. The only one I know that can see that far ahead into the future is dead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
unix isnt doomed as it were i just dont think that many companies will upgrade to unix in the future as most linux distros will do what they need now.

unix has lead the way for a long time so yes age has started to appear but its not doomed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
That's the beauty of being a technology writer-- you can say anything and if it comes true you're a visionary. If you're wrong, you can laugh and say "Boy, was I ever wrong." The whole objective of these guys is to sell magazines and newspapers.

In my 30 years in IT I've heard it all-- the demise of and/or taking over of the world by Windows, DOS, CP/M, UNIX, Linux, Sybase, Oracle, Informix, IBM System/36, the IBM PCjr, the Sun Microsystems Enterprise 10000, Pyramid computers, Convex computers, NeXT systems :), TCP/IP, SNA, Banyan, SCO UNIX, Novell.... the list goes on and on.

Moral of the story-- you can't predict beyond 12 months, if that. Take everything you read with a LARGE shaker of salt.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Unix will not die. For one thing, *BSD is Unix and it's, well, free...it's open-source like Linux, and you can't bankrupt open source. The BSDs have more in common with Linux, from a business perspective, than they do with the closed-source Unices like AIX, Solaris, and HP-UX.

Some Unices might die...SGI has pretty much said that IRIX is not going to see any major upgrades, and one wonders about the long-term future of the other expensive brand-name Unices. But there are still many big, important, and wealthy companies who depend on these systems and aren't quite ready to move to Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Shadowfax said:
I read recently that in the next 10-15 years UNIX systems will be totally dead and the only two OS'S remaining will be Windows and Linux, is there any truth in this?

Of course it is true....isn't it obvious that whomever wrote the article you read has clairvoyance enough to see 15 years into the future?!? <rolleyes>

Hehe, did you really have to ask if there was any truth to this? I hope that you didn't actually believe any of what you read, because it is a shame that some people would actually buy into that sort of crap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
D3v1L80Y said:
...I hope that you didn't actually believe any of what you read, because it is a shame that some people would actually buy into that sort of crap.

...and I can honestly say that I've had the misfortune of working for a whole bunch of 'em.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.