HD is being reduced/increased/reduced after I installed Lion!!

Reaction score
Something is going on here and no clue what it could be. But, yesterday I installed Lion. This morning I had only 5MB available. Yeap... 5MB. Some minutes later, I had 5GB available. Now I have 17.16GB but its reducing and suddenly increased. Any idea what this could be? I have already used recovery Boot disc, repaired HD, but still i have the issue. I should have 25GB available.

Any idea/suggestion is welcome.

Best,
Rodrigo

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Can you list the specs of the system please? Specifically, amount of memory and total hard disk capacity?

Sounds very much like the machine is struggling with swap file size for virtual memory. 25GB isn't a whole lot of breathing room if it's a good size drive - and note that Lion allocates a portion of that drive away from the rest to use as a recovery partition.

Reaction score
I too am experiensing a steady memory increase in my HDd since upgrading to Lion. I have a late 2008 MacBook Pro 15" with 2GB RAM and 500GB of HDD. when i installed Lion I had about 174GB of free space on my HDD, I now have only 162GB. In face overnight with all applications shut down in the space of 10 hours the free space reduced by 3GB

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.