slightly older macbook - upgrading from Leopard to Lion questions

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a white macbook that's several years old. I never upgraded to Snow Leopard.

the mac has a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM and is running Mac OS X version 10.5.8

my question is am I even able to upgrade to Lion? is it recommended with a machine this old? what would be the process? do I have to upgrade to Snow Leopard first, and then onto Lion? how does that work... do I have to purchase Snow Leopard and then Lion as well? I can't even seem to find a place to acquire Snow Leopard on the Apple webpage anymore.

any and all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The only way to upgrade to Lion on that machine is to install Snow Leopard and then upgrade to Lion. Reasons are:

1. Lion is only available as a download from the Apple App store.

2. In order to download Lion from the App store you must be using Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

OP
J
Reaction score
is it even worth it?

can I purchase and download Snow Leopard from the Apple App Store? I can't seem to find it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is it worth it? You bet! Lion is only $29.99 in the App store. Even if you have to buy Snow Leopard first (another $29) it's still worth it. Which major version of Windows can you buy for $29.99? ;) And before I forget, Snow Leopard is not available as a download. You can purchase it from your local Apple store or Best Buy. But you better hurry up because copies are disappearing fast.

OP
J
Reaction score
gotcha. thanks for the advice :)

I'll snatch up Snow Leopard and upgrade and then download Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.