Lion and Scanners

Reaction score
Have you bought Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and have a scanner as well. Does your scanner still work on Lion, did you have to do any updates or has it been a failure? Please share your findings and thoughts.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have not tried my scanner as yet but my with my Brother Laser printer I had to manually download driver software from Brother. Then I was able to add the printer and it works perfectly. The Drivers I downloaded were for 10.6.

I was just shocked there was no driver in 10.7 for the printer as it's been in every OS since 10.4 or 10.5.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
As dtravis7 noted, the Snow Leopard drivers worked. Both of my printers and the one scanner all work with the original Snow Leopard drivers that were installed some time ago. That does not necessarily mean every printer or scanner is going to work. You'll just have to try yours first to see.

Reaction score
My HP Officejet Pro 8500 aio scans just fine on lion via the network and image capture.

Reaction score
Have you bought Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and have a scanner as well. Does your scanner still work on Lion, did you have to do any updates or has it been a failure? Please share your findings and thoughts.

Yes I have a Samsung CLX-2160 colour laser and Scanner and it works perfectly. I didn't have to do anything.

One thing I did do was to change the icon on the Image Capture App, it's a Camera by default which can be counter intuitive when you only launch the App to access the scanner. I changed it for a flatbed scanner icon.

I never connect my digital camera directly, I always remove the memory card and plug that into a USB reader.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2.66ghz i5 27" 4gb
I have an Epson Stylus 6900f multifunction printer. Still prints ok but scanner is not working. Error message says PowerPC applications are no longer supported. Does this mean I will have to buy a new printer/scanner? Anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
I have a Canon MP640. Supposedly I simply need to do a Apple Software Update in order to get scanning working, however the update doesn't appear when doing so. I had to log into Windows in order to scan, crickey!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My Brother HLN-2070N printer and CanoScan scanner works without any changes at all..didn't have to re-install drivers or anything either..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
My Canon Pixma MP 990 works just fine using the same drivers I used in 10.6. Setting up wireless printing and scanning required connecting by USB first but that was often true before Lion as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2019) 3.3 ghz 12-Core 96GB mem Vega Pro II
If you no longer have a driver for your scanner, do a Google search for Vuescan. It is an excellent program that comes in a native Mac version and supports many (but not all) scanners. I have used it for years on Windows machines and now use it on my new iMac. The developer is very concientious about keeping it updated. Works fine on Lion.

Reaction score
Epson Scanner no longer works with Lion

My Epson scanner no longer interfaces with Lion. Just had a call with Apple Support and they couldn't fix it. Said it was up to Epson to write new software -- :Angry:sometime in the future.

Reaction score
Yes I have a Samsung CLX-2160 colour laser and Scanner and it works perfectly. I didn't have to do anything.

One thing I did do was to change the icon on the Image Capture App, it's a Camera by default which can be counter intuitive when you only launch the App to access the scanner. I changed it for a flatbed scanner icon.

I never connect my digital camera directly, I always remove the memory card and plug that into a USB reader.

On my Macbookair 2011 with OS 10.7.1, my Samsung CLX 2160 dos'nt work anymore (authorization problem).
Does yours always work well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
The scanner on my Canon MP620B works just fine with Lion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My older Epson Scanner is working fine in 10.7.1 Lion. Tried it tonight on a scanning job and it was perfect. Just like it was in Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
This is killing me! My Epson RX680 worked flawlessly with SL, but with Lion every attempt to scan just locks the scanner. Printer works perfectly. I've installed the latest drivers from Epson, which states the 10.6 drivers will work for 10.7, but no difference. Though the RX680 works perfectly (with my old PC) I'd be willing to buy a new All-in-one if I could only find one that is actually compatible with Lion! I've even tried Vuescan but the scanner locks up exactly the same, regardless of what software I'm trying to use.

Specifically, I need a good scanner that is fully supported under Lion. Even if I keep my old unit just to print, I really need a compatible scanner.

Anyone have additional suggestions? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Processor:2.7GHz Intel Core, 4GB 1333 MHz, Mac OS X Lion, 27 in. display
I know this is an old thread but can't hurt to try asking.

But I thought I read that TWAIN does not work in Ps 5, 64 bit? Thats what i have currently. If you change Ps from 64 bit down to 32 bit, is there any adverse effects? And if I did, could Ps then see the scanner? I have a combination printer/scanner and the Mac itself does now detect the printer. But Ps still does not see the scanner. I have already downloaded a Twain.dmg file.

I have been reading about VueScan but I would like to look into a free alternative if there is one. And well if there is not any really good ones out there, and no way to get Ps to see the scanner, then I will probably get VueScan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Epson Stylus TX550W works just fine in scan mode. Apple have updated drivers a couple of times via software update.

Reaction score
Epson Perfection 3170, Brother MFC 9470

At home, I have an Epson Perfection 3170. Since I upgraded to Lion, none of the drivers work for me anymore, and the instructions about Lion on the Epson website send me in circles.

I can get a pale, overexposed scan using ImageCapture, then correct it in Photoshop. Very cumbersome.

At my office, I have a Brother MFC 9470, a multifunction laser scanner, printer, copier, and its TWAIN drivers work well. I scan directly into Adobe Acrobat Pro, no problems. That one has a feeder.

I'm frustrated with Epson. Would be interested to hear what models of scanner work well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.