eMac can't boot retail OSX

Reaction score
A relative bought a second hand eMac (White) I formatted the drive via PC while cleaning it out. Ordered new Jaguar retail discs (White with X) and tried booting from Disc 1 with "C" and it showed a globe icon (Boot from lan?) followed by a flashing folder with an icon. Booting with the Alt key (Option) loaded a screen with what looks to be a refresh button and a forward arrow. Neither appear to do anything other than the refresh button which probably looks for bootable devices. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A relative bought a second hand eMac (White) I formatted the drive via PC while cleaning it out. Ordered new Jaguar retail discs (White with X) and tried booting from Disc 1 with "C" and it showed a globe icon (Boot from lan?) followed by a flashing folder with an icon. Booting with the Alt key (Option) loaded a screen with what looks to be a refresh button and a forward arrow. Neither appear to do anything other than the refresh button which probably looks for bootable devices. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Which eMac model do you have (there were 6 different models)?

Depending which model eMac you have...Jaguar (OS 10.2) may be too old. Some of the last eMac's shipped with OS 10.4 (Tiger) which means anything older will not install.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
Model A1002 EMC No 1955. When I first booted it before wiping the hard drive it was running 10.2.8 so thats what I assumed I needed.

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm absolutely sure thats what the bottom plate says "Model No. A1002 EMC No. 1955" I thought the exact same thing when I tried to look up the specs they only had 1903 for an EMC. Its throwing me for a loop.

OP
D
Reaction score
I managed to get more info from the serial. eMac ATI CTO. It originally came with 10.2.5 so I'm guessing I have the wrong disc?

OP
D
Reaction score
White Jaguar CD?

Yes a white Jaguar CD.
os_x_jaguar_cd.jpg

Thats what I've got. So is my next step getting 10.3 Panther?

C

chas_m

Yes. Apparently the eMac shipped with 10.2.5, so it can't go any lower than that.

Panther discs shouldn't be too hard to find, but as you already know they need to be retail discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.