Boot Camp/Parallel on External Drive?

Reaction score
A SSD of 256GB limits what I might want to install on a new MBA. Can Boot Camp/Parallel be installed on an External Drive?

Thanks

Mike

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Boot Camp, no. Parallels and Fusion can be installed to an external drive but the results will be sluggish at best. I wouldn't do it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks. I am trying to avoid any Window apps so may not need it and probably not care about sluggish. So far the only app that runs on Windows and iPad/iPhone nut not Mac is ListPro. The hassle probably is not worth it for one app.

Regards

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
For one app I would take a look at WINE. not the stuff you drink... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I haven't tried it yet - but I would think a fast thunderbolt drive would be plenty of bandwidth to run a VM off of (If anyone would care to test and share I would appreciate that)

Anyway - Try Wine as it is free - but according to crossover listpro is gold compatible.
Compatibility - ListPro 5.0 - CodeWeavers
Codeweavers does have a free trial so you can see if it meets your needs before you pay. They tend to have more programs working well than wine does.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I haven't tried it yet - but I would think a fast thunderbolt drive would be plenty of bandwidth to run a VM off of (If anyone would care to test and share I would appreciate that)

Anyway - Try Wine as it is free - but according to crossover listpro is gold compatible.
Compatibility - ListPro 5.0 - CodeWeavers
Codeweavers does have a free trial so you can see if it meets your needs before you pay. They tend to have more programs working well than wine does.

As soon as one is available at under $1k - would love to!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.