Chm files

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Chm file and figured out that you can download Chmox to help read the file. Now the question is how do you open word documents attached to it? On the Chm file there are Word files that I want to open so I can edit the Chm file as I wish. If anyone has a solution it would be great! =)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you not open them in Word/Pages/LibreOffice? Do you have any of those apps (LibreOffice is free and may work for you)?

OP
M
Reaction score
Right...I can't click on the link provided in the Chm file. I tried holding control down before clicking on it, but I couldn't. Its weird.

OP
M
Reaction score
ok so since no one really knows...is there a way to convert the chm file to word?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Might I ask why it is that you need to modify the CHM file in OS X? CHM files are compiled help files for Windows. Perhaps it would be better to modify these in Windows where you would have access to a variety of tools.

OP
M
Reaction score
well, i'm training for this new program i'm going to be teaching at my school site. i use a mac obviously, but this chm file is for a pc. i would like to avoid having to go between computers. one my training teachers found a way to open the chm file on her mac using chmox, which is awesome! Within the chm files there are links to word files so we can edit them as we wish, but i am unable to open those word files. they open fine as chm files. i just want to be able to open them as a word file so i can edit them. make sense?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I understand but CHM files don't have great support in OS X given that they are Windows help files. I'm not surprised that you can open them but I'm also not surprised that support isn't 100% (otherwise you'd have no issue opening those Word files). You could try another viewer such as iCHM but like Chmox, it's just a viewer so you won't be able to edit anything. At lest with that, you might be able to view the Word files.

OP
M
Reaction score
oooh ok. is there a program that can convert the chm file to word? or not? lol i'm just trying to avoid using two computers...you know trying to make my life easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.