Office on new MBA?

Reaction score
I use Numbers and Pages apps on my iPad 2/iPhone 4 and have been underwhelmed with their capabilities. I save my documents in a DropBox so that I can use Office and Numbers on the same xls files. I lean toward Office rather than iWorks for that reason. The reviews on both are mixed.

Given that my background is basically Windows PC & Laptop and Apples mobile devices, is Office a reasonable choice for the new MBA?

Thanks

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you prefer Office, then yes, just go ahead and buy office for Mac, as long as you like the more recent ribbon interface - but Office for Mac gives you the ribbon and the menus

OP
M
Reaction score
Thank you.

Now to decide if I need Outlook? I use calendar, notes, and contacts on the iPad2/iPhone 4 and sync them (and Safari bookmarks) with the PC and Windows Laptop Outlook using the MobileMe Windows contol panel.

If I can sync the MBA calendar, notes, contacts, and bookmarks easily with MobileMe on the MBA, then that might be the easiest way to get all my information onto the MBA and I could avoid Mac Outlook.

Regards,

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
Well honestly, I've heard that Outlook is very bad on Mac. I would suggest going with the Mac alternative, as iCloud is right around the corner.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just read this:

MobileMe will no longer sync with Sync Services as of May 5th, 2011. As a result, Outlook for Mac 2011 Service Pack 1 calendars that sync with Sync Services on the Mac will not sync with MobileMe calendars.

That pretty well zaps Outlook for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
Ok. I do know that iCloud will sync everything across all of your devices for you. That service is expected to launch this Fall.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Well honestly, I've heard that Outlook is very bad on Mac. I would suggest going with the Mac alternative, as iCloud is right around the corner.

Not sure where you heard this. I use Outlook - and prefer it greatly to Apple Mail - although that may change with the new mail offered by Lion - we'll have to see.

Currently the sync function works exactly as advertised using Mobile Me - and I'm hoping/assuming/expecting that by the time that service turns off in 2012 - there will be a replacement function offered by iCloud with an appropriate Office 2011 update.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Is there something specific I should be looking for? That's a lot of reading.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well - that sort of sucks. I either didn't know - or forgot - that that function had disappeared. I don't use it that often - since most of my calendar scheduling is done via my work calendar - but sure enough. I just did an experiment - and created an calendar entry on my iMac in Outlook, that entry immediately showed up in iCal on the iMac - but that's it. Not in Mobile Me calendar nor did it make it to my MBP. Disappointing. I guess I had that function for only about 3 months.

C

chas_m

I have to point out that if you've only used iWork programs on the iPad and iPhone, you haven't yet actually used the "real" iWork programs.

Download the free trial. I think you'll find that they are extremely powerful under that pretty hood, though I would say that if you're a hardcore Excel type then Excel is probably the better choice over Numbers. The other two are WAY better than their MS counterparts IMO.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Apple App store now has the Pages, Keynote, and Numbers updated versions for Lion. Still iWork 09 though. Doesn't appear Apple has any plans to continue the iWork suite and will instead offer the apps separately from the App store. I don't want to say forget about iWork 11 but it sure looks that way.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't need powerpoint/Keynotes so maybe I should give the trial Number a whirl before making a decision. I did not realize they had a trial version. I wish they wouid do that on mobile apps.

Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.