lion upgrade fails with general error

Reaction score
New to mac troubleshooting but not new to mac.
Yes i have followed all pre upgrade steps both here and other sites.
Everything was going fine and the MBP rebooted and continued till it gets to the 19 min remaining point and then i get the error,
"The installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance."
Now i'm stuck in a loop. Not sure what to try now.

OP
S
Reaction score
So I guess can anyone tell me the keyboard key(s) to press to do a clean install and boot from the SL install disk? I had hoped someone would know this error.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have your original Snow Leopard install media? If you do, insert the Snow Leopard DVD, reboot and hold down the OPTION or C key as soon as you hear the chime. Once it boots to the Snow Leopard installer, go to the top menu "Utilities", "Disk Utility". Highlight your drive on the left side and then select erase. Choose Mac OS Journaled, name the drive, and press erase again.

After it erases the drive and formats it, you can continue to install Snow Leopard. Note that this procedure destroys all your data! So be sure to backup everything first before doing it.

OP
S
Reaction score
When i do this, i hear the dvd spin up 4 times and then the dvd ejects and i see

1) with the option key, i see to drive icons. One says mac os x installer and one recovery hd.
2) with the c key, the lion install kicks in.

Thanks for the reply and i hope you can continue to send ideas

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of Snow Leopard disk are you trying to boot from? It sounds like your system is just ignoring the SL disk and going right to the hard drive with the incomplete install of Lion.

Are you sure you have the correct SL disk for your machine? Or your SL disk could be scratched or marked.

OP
S
Reaction score
The dvd says macbook pro mac os x install disc 1. It and disc 2 are the ones that came with the MBP.

I was able to see my time machine drive but it told me there was an issue with the drive and i could not repair/restore with it ( OK, didnt test time machine first )

Thanks again for the reply. Looks like my data may be gone, just want to have the mac working. I hope the upgrade was going to be fine but things happen.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.