Most gestures don't work.

Reaction score
For some reason most of the new gestures do not work on my macbook.

My scrolling is reversed, but that's about it. I can't swipe between desktops with any number of fingers, or mission control, launchpad or pinch zooming. I can access mission control and launchpad with ctrl + up and ctrl + down. And I can also two finger zoom when holding down ctrl.

When I look at my system preferences, there isn't a lot of going on for gesture options in the trackpad settings. The Apple site says that there should be movies explaining each gesture in the trackpad preferences, but there aren't . Does everyone anyone/everyone else's window look like the attached image? I don't see how it looks any different from Snow Leopard.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What Mac do you have? Gestures aren't supported on some older Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Also, depending on if you have certain ones enabled, you will need to change how others work.

For scrolling, Uncheck the box for the "Natural Scrolling" - that one threw me for a loop.

OP
T
Reaction score
attachment.php
Mine is a little older. I have an intel core 2 duo processor.

If that's the case, its total bs. I'm sure I can root around and find some literature that says that not all the gestures will work, but the main lion page on the website said that all you needed was a supportable processor and Snow Leopard. I still have a multi touch track pad.

I don't even really want this anymore. My favorite of the new features was how easy it was to flip between desktops now I have to use a less fluid version of mission control and I can't swipe between screens.

Really beat.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
OP
T
Reaction score
I pressed for time so I can't sort through the new about mac layout, but your right. I have an early 2008 13in macbook, can't seem to find the model number atm.

It does say this for my trackpad:
"Solid-state scrolling trackpad for precise cursor control; supports two-finger scrolling, tap, double-tap, and drag capabilities"

So you're right. I just assumed that since I could two finger scroll that I had multi-touch. I'll have to test out my wacom tablet when i get home from work. Not sure if that'll be compatible, but maybe.

Thanks for clearing that up, schweb, even if you crushed my hopes and dreams in the process. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.