Film freezes off Mac HD and DVD

Reaction score
Hello, I hope someone can help me out here as i'm not sure what more I can do. Firstly, to cut a long story short, i downgraded to 10.5.8 (archive and install) from 10.6.8 because it was giving me so many freezing/hanging/crashing problems, and I intend to work back up to maybe 10.6.7 soon. Now there is one particular problem that has not gone away with this...my downloaded films and some DVDs are suffering from a constant stutter, or point where they freeze and do not continue.

Now, I bought an external hard drive because I thought maybe a lack of space was causing this problem, but now with over 130GB free out of 232GB this cannot be the cause. Basically, films that were downloaded and i kept on my hard drive will get to a point and freeze, and just not continue (i've waited up to half an hour sometimes) and no skipping forwards/backwards or sliding the bar solves this meaning I am left with no option but to quit (I use VLC). Same thing with many other films I have downloaded to my hard drive, they will always freeze and nothing will continue. With burned DVDs (that I watched many times in the past without fault, like my films on my hard drive) they suffer from a constant stutter. I have used almost always Maxell DVDs and the strange thing is, they will play on a DVD player hooked up to a TV without any such problem.

Now, I moved a lot of films to my external hard drive and they play without problem - how can this be? So I wonder, what is the problem with the optical drive that is causing a constant stutter in my burned DVDs that wasn't there before, and what is wrong with my downloaded films stored on my Mac HD that is causing them to freeze that wasn't there before?

Mac OS X 10.5.8
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Mac OS Extended (journaled) HD
capacity: 232.57 GB
available: 138 GB

I did the verify disk/repair disk and verify permissions/repair permissions with disk utility. I downloaded Onyx and did this all again and again. Apologies for the long post, but I am not a tech-head and Apple support lines are useless. Someone help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.