Does intalling Lion wipe data?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13" Core I5 320GB
I am keen to upgrade (I have an i5 MBP 13" - April 011).

Once installed will the following remain intact:

Email Accounts

User Accounts

Internet ISP Accounts

Drivers for Hardware

Bookmarks

Appreciate any guidance from those who have upgraded already!!

Reaction score
As long as you have a Time Machine source connected, it will ask you what you want to restore during installation

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The correct answer is: yes, the simple upgrade that occurs when you buy Lion, download it from the App Store and run the installer to upgrade, keeps all of your current data.

The above answer would only apply if you were to wipe your drive and do a clean install.

As always, you should have a backup prior to upgrading the OS. Things can, and do on occasion, go wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I didn't have to do anything after confirm installation with a dialogue box. I left it to paint my door, came back about 30minutes, Lion was installed ready to go. One of the easiest installation of OS. All user preferences, bookmarks, files, etc. stayed the same.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.