Problem with Lion's fullscreen feature and dual displays

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro that I use along with another monitor for dual displays while working. On my monitor (or on my laptop display) I would love to be able to put an application on the new fullscreen while also having another application on fullscreen on the other display, or even using the other display for any other apps.

Upon trying to enter fullscreen mode, it blanks out my monitor and makes the app fullscreen on my laptop display. This does me no good.

Is there a way to use the fullscreen feature on one display, and still have another display working?

Seems like this would be something simple that Apple would have thought of. Thanks for any help you can toss my way!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I have the exact same problem and I can't seem to find anything in Preferences to fix this. I hope someone has some advice.

OP
J
Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not the only one. It seems too simple, I went through everything I could think of looking for a setting.

Come on Apple!

OP
J
Reaction score
Bump for some morning help...

Still can't figure out how to fix this. :Angry:

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Bump for some morning help...

Still can't figure out how to fix this. :Angry:

My advice would be to fire up your backup drive and revert to 10.6. If you're not tolerant of bugs and rough edges, you probably don't want to be running the initial release of a new OS.

I'm not trying to be smart, and I know that's not the answer you're looking for - but just trying to be realistic. Issues that effect non-standard configurations are probably going to take a bit to shake out.

OP
J
Reaction score
It's all good, didn't take your answer as smart at all. And, I didn't mean to annoy by bumping the thread. Figured i'd try it once this morning and then drop it, since morning crowds on forums tend to be a completely different crowd from the evening crowd, and I might run into somebody new who knows something about the issue.

I'm hoping enough people out there probably use dual displays that somebody might have found a setting somewhere to make this work.

If I revert back, then I don't have the fullscreen option anyway, so I may as well stay with Lion, and just not use the fullscreen feature until something gets figured out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
It's not a bug, it's how full screen apps are currently designed.

If you want the option to utilize multiple monitors with fullscreen apps, you should submit a feature request to Apple:

Apple - Feedback

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Ran into this comment on a TechCrunch article. Not sure if this helps:

Mark Langston
Dual monitor users, listen up!

Here's a tip to always ensure that an app (like Mail or iTunes) stays on the 2nd monitor no matter which Desktop you're using.

Right-click on the icon in the Dock, select Options > Assign To, choose "This Desktop". This (sort of) replaces the ability to assign apps to a specific Space in Snow Leopard. I actually prefer it over the old method.

Signed,

Proud Member of the Pride.

Mark: If you're reading this, I hope you don't mind me sharing the tip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I think this works if you just want to keep an application on an external monitor, but won't work when you make the app full screen. As soon as you hit Command-F, it switches back from the external display to the main one and goes full screen there. All you see on the external display is the drab, ugly gray linen. Going out of full screen brings the application back to the external display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
I have a Macbook Pro that I use along with another monitor for dual displays while working. On my monitor (or on my laptop display) I would love to be able to put an application on the new fullscreen while also having another application on fullscreen on the other display, or even using the other display for any other apps.

Upon trying to enter fullscreen mode, it blanks out my monitor and makes the app fullscreen on my laptop display. This does me no good.

Is there a way to use the fullscreen feature on one display, and still have another display working?

Seems like this would be something simple that Apple would have thought of. Thanks for any help you can toss my way!

Yes, I have noted this as well. It only seems to want to let me full screen on my main display.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Until Apple releases an update resolving this, you guys could just drag the corners of the app to fill the screen of your 2nd monitor.

Reaction score
same problem

I don't consider this "non standard" as many many users have dual monitors, like I do.

In any case, this is a bug and we should all let apple know via their feedback forum

here is the link:

Apple - Feedback

i am sure once they get enough feedback on this it will be fixed

:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.