Lion may have hosed my external...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I have a bunch of external hard drives connected to my iMac. After installing Lion, one of my externals stopped letting me write to it. Before Lion, the external was working fine. I repaired permissions, but the issue was not fixed. I tried repairing the external using disk utility but It said that the drive was damaged and could not be repaired. As a last ditch effort, I ran disk warrior. I was able to repair my hard drive, but I lost around 50 GB of data.

I'm not sure If this issue was caused by Lion or not, but this morning before I upgraded the external was working fine... I'm worried that Lion may have some sort of issue when it comes to reading/writing from externals that can damage them...

I am aware that the external may simply have been faulty, but it's the timing of the failure that worries me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
All I can say is MANY external HDD's here connected FW400, FW800 and USB2 and not an issue in Lion.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I suppose I can just chalk it up to a faulty extnal and bad timing. Time to replace my external then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple since 1982, now: iMac 2.5 ghz, 500 HD, sandy bridge
Its a common issue over on the APPLE community forums. Drives no longer work after installing Lion. I guess its roar is too much for them.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Were your HDD's connected to your machine while you upgraded?

Uh, Yes. Why would I disconnect my drives? ALL were connected and powered on. All work fine.

Reaction score
Uh, Yes. Why would I disconnect my drives? ALL were connected and powered on. All work fine.

Dude, it was only a question.
mathews_doh.gif

I was simply curious if the conditions were the same.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dude, it was only a question.
mathews_doh.gif

I was simply curious if the conditions were the same.

I did answer the question. Did not mean to sound upset. Just making sure people understood.

I keep my drives powered on and connected except for my one backup drive that I only power up when needed but it was on during the install so I could later put some files back on my clean install of Lion.

I see a lot of drama about Lion so far and here have not had one issue. Again sorry if my answer came off a bit hard nosed.

OP
eliehass
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far I'm a big fan of Lion as well. The hard drive has been my one big issue, but it looks like it was simply a poorly timed hard drive failure.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.