New mac mini? help!

Reaction score
apple released a new mac mini i think this week, whats the difference from the one that cost 699 to the one that now cost 599 besides the price? does mac still sell the ones that were 699? i dont understand what they did with the mini now

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new Mac Mini has been reduced in price by $100.00. It would be best to access the Apple on line store and look over the details and changes. The new Mini for example comes without an optical drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
The new Mini's are way more powerful than previous models and they are cheaper

J-L

Reaction score
So the differences between the new baseline mini and the old mini are:

New Processor, it now contains an Intel i5 which should give it a pretty decent performs boost from the core 2 duo.

Bigger hard disk drive at 500 GB compared to the old 320 GB (but still both at the speed of 5400rpm)

No more DVD drive

No more dedicated graphics card the new mini uses the HD 3000 IGP. From most reviews I have seen it is better at doing video but slightly worse at doing games, overall though there is not much difference between this and the previous mini graphics.

Now to answer you second question, yes there is also a new mini priced at the same value as the old one. For your extra money you get a slightly faster processor (200mhz), an extra 2 GB RAM memory and a dedicated video card the AMD Radeon HD 6630M with 256 MB GDDR5.

Which one you want will depend on what you want to use it for

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27in iMac i5 3.1GHz, AMD 6970, iPhone 4, Wi-Fi iPad 2
So the differences between the new baseline mini and the old mini are:

New Processor, it now contains an Intel i5 which should give it a pretty decent performs boost from the core 2 duo.

Bigger hard disk drive at 500 GB compared to the old 320 GB (but still both at the speed of 5400rpm)

No more DVD drive

No more dedicated graphics card the new mini uses the HD 3000 IGP. From most reviews I have seen it is better at doing video but slightly worse at doing games, overall though there is not much difference between this and the previous mini graphics.

Now to answer you second question, yes there is also a new mini priced at the same value as the old one. For your extra money you get a slightly faster processor (200mhz), an extra 2 GB RAM memory and a dedicated video card the AMD Radeon HD 6630M with 256 MB GDDR5.

Which one you want will depend on what you want to use it for

FTR, that model with the upgraded processor and stuff is 799 not 699, but still worth it.

OP
H
Reaction score
All i would use it for is photoshop,itunes, and netflix and search the web, think i should get the mini with a magic trackpad and wireless keyboard?

J-L

Reaction score
@StMFA yeah my bad, should have probably checked into the price thing a bit more, I can not remember the exact price of the old mini. Anyway in my country the new ones are £699 which works out at about $1,120 (given current exchange is about 1.6). lol We are so badly ripped off here.

Mac mini - Buy Mac mini desktop computers - Apple Store (UK)

back on topic:

Yeah the base mini should be fine for what you want. May want to check with some folks who use photo-shop to see if the dedicated graphics will make that much of an impact (I would say chances are it will not be a massive increase).

Personally I detest wireless keyboards, as they always seem to run out of power just when I need them most.

I think the track-pad is a cool idea as it will allow you to get the most out of Lion.

OP
H
Reaction score
Im probably gonna have to get me rechargable batterys so i have some fully charged after the ones i use go dead

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Personally I detest wireless keyboards, as they always seem to run out of power just when I need them most.

I think the track-pad is a cool idea as it will allow you to get the most out of Lion.

I haven't had any issues with the Apple Wireless Keyboard- it's had phenomenal life so far. And yes, get the trackpad, I have it on my iMac and find myself hardly using the actual mouse anymore.

OP
H
Reaction score
thats great to hear, this is my first switch to mac besides the iphone4 so im excited to order it this weekend

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best of luck with your purchase! The trackpad also has really good battery life, the magic mouse not so much.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.