New Macbook Air w/Win 7?

Reaction score
Hey guys! I want to buy a new Macbook Air, specifically this model:

13.3" MacBook Air dual-core Intel Core i5 1.7GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Mac OS X Lion (MC965LL/A)

Is this strong enough to dual boot or virtual machine Windows 7 in addition to running the Mac OS?

I am required to have windows 7 for the university I will be attending in the fall.

I am very PC tech savy and am sure I can figure out how to dual boot / vm windows 7. I just don't know how to do it yet :)

So..are the new Macbook Air specs beefy enough to handle the task?

Thanks!!!!

Reaction score
Yup! The new MacBook Air will be able to handle this. It's pretty simple to setup a "dual boot" setup.

Here on the Macs it's called "Boot Camp". You can find the Boot Camp Assistant in your Applications > Utilities folder. It's pretty neat app that lets you partition the HD and get it ready to do just this thing, install Windows on the Mac.

Pretty neat, they also come with the new thunderbolt port! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these.

GL

OP
T
Reaction score
Awesome! I hope the battery is good. I'm siked to make the switch to Mac!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The big thing you need to consider is disk space. With the smallish SSDs in the MacBook Air, you're going to be very limited in how much space you allocate to two OSes.

Reaction score
That is correct. Depending on how much school work you are going to be doing, it may be wiser to get a MacBook Pro as the HD is much bigger than 120GB....tho i don't think i have ever used that much haha.

OP
T
Reaction score
I have a Windows server 2008 r2 at home as a media/data server -- I'll be storing most of my files and data on that. I use about 30gb for my win7 installs which includes programs/files. So, a 64gb partition should be enough for that (I hope!).

Thanks for the info!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think you're going to be tight on space. And it's not an easy upgrade since the SSD is semi-proprietary. Mac OS X likes a lot of free space. If it doesn't have it, it tends to bog down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.