home folder in finder

Reaction score
I don't know if this is a Lion problem but it has only happened since I upgraded today.

Basically my home folder is gone from the sidebar of Finder on my Imac. When I go to the Sidebar section of Preferences, the option to tick the box to make the home folder active is there but it won't tick so I can't get it to come on.

The strange thing is on my MacBook Air it works fine and I can tick the box so i don't know what's going on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Can you drag your home folder over to the Sidebar and get it to "stick"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'm not at my Mac, but I'm pretty sure I saw a Sidebar plist file in my Home folder. Make a list, or print a screen shot of what you have in the Sidebar, 'cause you could lose some things if you decide to try this:

Go to Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences
Find com.apple.sidebar.plist (or something very similar - going on memory here)
Drag that to the Desktop and restart.

Now try getting your home folder to behave.

You can put that plist file back instead of building the Sidebar back the way you had it. That is, if it didn't fix the problem. If it did, then you'll want to Trash that plist file.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.