G4 that wont boot to CD

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am hope someone can help with this issue i am having. I was given a G4 that i was hoping to get working and install Snow Leopard. Hard drive was bad so i replaced it, cd drive was not a dvd so i replaced it with a dvd\cd-rw, memory is good, andn i have video. The issue is that when i put the cd into the drive and press the following:

* Restart your computer and immediately press the Option key. Icons for all available startup volumes will appear. Click the one you want to boot from, and then click the right arrow button to complete the startup process.

* Restart your computer and immediately press Command-Option-Shift-Delete. You must press all the keys at once. The computer will start to boot from the CD or DVD drive. If there isn't a bootable disc inside the drive when you begin the reboot, the computer will attempt to boot from another partition or drive.

* Restart your computer and immediately press the c key. The computer will look for a bootable CD or DVD and, if it finds one, will use it as its startup device.

i don't get to an option where i can format the drive and reinstall the OS.

When pressing the option button i do get a gray screen with two arrows but they don't seem to do anything.

Thank you for any help

Jon

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I was given a G4 that i was hoping to get working and install Snow Leopard.

The quick answer is...you cannot install Snow Leopard (OS 10.6) on a Macintosh with G4 cpu.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
wow....

that is very valuable information.... i wish i knew... just curious but do you know what os will work with the g4 ?

thank you for your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
If your CPU speed is over 867MHz. you can install 10.5 Leopard. If it's below 867MHz, 10.4 Tiger.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.