• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Lion Mail: Faster, full-screen, and feature-packed

Reaction score
Have you tried rebuilding the mailboxes that contain the messages that won't open. You can do this by selecting the mailbox and choosing "Rebuild from the Mailbox menu.

I think it is possible to Shift-click and select multiple mailboxes at once. If you rebuild a mailbox associated with an Exchange Server the mailbox will appear empty until the messages are re-downloaded.

Hi - yeah, I tried rebuilding the mailbox, but i'll try it again. I just don't understand why the messages won't load.

Reaction score
I've tried to rebuild the mailboxes several times, but it makes no difference that I can see. The messages still have that spinning thing like they're trying to load, but the content never displays.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Brian, could you get used to Command+D? If so I got it working!!!! Control+D no matter what I did will not work, which is strange as it's just a keyboard mapping. Be sure you completely quit the Mail app. Open Keyboard and Shortcuts and make a new one under Applications. Call it Send. For the keys hold Command+Enter and get out of the editor. Open Mail and it should now send with Command+Enter. Tried it with Control but nada. Not sure why! :D

I could do cmd+enter, I'm used to cmd now. Cmd or cntrl+D is the default send shortcut - if I recall correctly. I haven't even brought up Mail since I gave up a few months ago. I also can't remember if I tried to assign cmd+enter - but will go check that out in a bit. At the time - I was just feeling my way around OS X, so I may not have tried it. I'll report back. Thanks :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hi - yeah, I tried rebuilding the mailbox, but i'll try it again. I just don't understand why the messages won't load.

If you tried rebuilding the mailboxes and that did not work I suspect you are right about the culprit is a piece of corrupted HTML mail. I had that problem with an earlier version of Mail. Every time I opened to the inbox the crash was almost immediately I solved the problem by deleting the top message in whatever box is selected when the problem occurs.

Reaction score
Have you tried rebuilding the mailboxes that contain the messages that won't open. You can do this by selecting the mailbox and choosing "Rebuild from the Mailbox menu.

I think it is possible to Shift-click and select multiple mailboxes at once. If you rebuild a mailbox associated with an Exchange Server the mailbox will appear empty until the messages are re-downloaded.

The rebuilding didn't work. I don't know what to do now.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are you always working in the same mailbox when the problem occurs? If so the topmost message in that box might be the culprit.

BTW You wouldn't by chance be an avid reader of Arthurian legends?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I could do cmd+enter, I'm used to cmd now. Cmd or cntrl+D is the default send shortcut - if I recall correctly. I haven't even brought up Mail since I gave up a few months ago. I also can't remember if I tried to assign cmd+enter - but will go check that out in a bit. At the time - I was just feeling my way around OS X, so I may not have tried it. I'll report back. Thanks :)

Should work for you. I am in Lion but I don't think they changed mails Shortcuts. Keep me posted. Hope that does it for you.

I am still working on an Apple Script to hit Send with CTRL+Enter so hang in there! :D Grin

Reaction score
I have a major problem with either mail package. Why when I delete items in any box, I go to 'All Mail' and there they are again. So I delete them then again in trash and bin and all looks ok till…. a couple of minutes later, they're back!! How is that? Can anyone advise what if anything to switch off….
Cheers..

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Should work for you. I am in Lion but I don't think they changed mails Shortcuts. Keep me posted. Hope that does it for you.

I am still working on an Apple Script to hit Send with CTRL+Enter so hang in there! :D Grin

Lmao...it's not that important...that's one of the reasons I bought MS Office ;), although - when I finally take the Lion plunge - I may give Mail another try since I really want full sync across all devices. I appreciate the effort though! :)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
To me Brian, once I start something I like to finish and learn something new in the process!!

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I'm REALLY liking the new Mail app. I never used it in SL, but now I use it ALL the time! I haven't actually logged into an actual web email since I set up my accounts(yahoo/me/gmail). Everything works perfectly for me. I'm happy!

On a side note. I got to do a complete clean install of Lion, and I LOVE it now. Operates SO smoothly. It takes longer, but is well worth it in my opinion.

Reaction score
New mail with Lion 10.7.

Sorry, I know it may have been posted already, but I have to say that I really love the revised version of "Mail" that comes with Lion 10.7. It is so much faster and more responsive then in the previous version in Snow Leopard. I synced my mobile me and yahoo e-mail with it and it works like a charm. Before, I favored using Outlook in Office 2011. That is now starting to fade. I find myself going to use Mac mail more then ever before. Thanks Apple for streamlining the mail program and making it much more dependable and faster. Does anyone else see this big difference like I do. Also, is there anyone who doesn't like the new Mail in Lion and why?

Thanks!

Ed

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Merged similar threads.

Reaction score
Still haven't had the answer to my question about undeletable deleted messages? Still can't get my head around that one... All about a box called 'All Mail'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.53 Ghz Intel Core i5, 8GB 1067 MHz DDR3,
I have made the switch from Sparrow back to Mail.app. I'm very pleased with its performance and its much better integration with my Google Apps. The conversation view is much cleaner than sparrow and it handles all of my emails perfectly just like going to my webpage version. The search is awesome! I did comparable searches in Sparrow and was only able to find about 60% of the emails I was looking for. Mail.app found them every time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have a major problem with either mail package. Why when I delete items in any box, I go to 'All Mail' and there they are again. So I delete them then again in trash and bin and all looks ok till…. a couple of minutes later, they're back!! How is that? Can anyone advise what if anything to switch off….
Cheers..

Which mail is this for? Gmail?

Reaction score
Yes it is Gmail and I now discover that when I log into my remote Gmail account I can in fact delete them. I just don't understand that when I'm using my Mac Mail which is Gmail I can't do that on the desktop? All's well that ends well….

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
What I've noticed is that I have to right-click on the mailbox trash, not Gmail trash, and hit "erase deleted items". If I individually delete *some* mail, it won't get deleted. Try it, and see if it works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.