• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Lion Mail: Faster, full-screen, and feature-packed

Reaction score
Lion Mail: Faster, full-screen, and feature-packed

bigassmailiconlion.png
During my testing of OS X Lion during the last month, I decided to take a break from my beloved Sparrow to see if the reboot of Mail.app could bring me back into the fold. I hate to tell the Sparrow team, but I'm heading to back to Mail. In this post, I'll discuss the features that have made me happy with Mail again.

When you launch Mail for the first time after upgrading to Lion, the database will need to be updated. I chose not to do that, since I use all IMAP server, and just let Mail download the messages into its database. While I didn't time the process, Mail was able to bring all 40,000+ messages down from eight different mail servers in just a few hours. The process was much faster than it was under Snow Leopard on a more capable Mac.

Adding new accounts has been simplified even more. After entering your name, email address, and the account password into Mail, the app checks to see if it "knows" about the email provider and if so, it automatically configures the settings for you. That's not all -- if your account (Gmail, Yahoo!, whatever...) also includes a calendar, contact, or chat, Mail asks if you'd like those to be set up as well. I added a Yahoo! Rocketmail account that I never read to my list of accounts, and it immediately tried to link me to the Yahoo! equivalents of iCal and iChat.

ch07fig04.png

The Mail UI has changed a lot (below), looking much more like the Mail interface on the iPad than the previous Mac Mail. Mail has been written as a full-screen app, so with one click it takes over your entire Mac screen. That's somewhat overkill on a 27" iMac, but perfect on an 11.6" MacBook Air. Enabling full-screen mode allows the app to be have its own Mission Control window. That may not sound impressive, but that means that with a few quick gestures, you can switch between Mail and other full-screen apps.
ch07fig05.png

The Mail toolbar (below) is slightly different, with a few icons that may be confusing even to seasoned Mac users. Get Mail is an envelope icon, New Message uses the familiar iOS "pencil and paper" icon, Note pops up a small yellow lined notepad for writing reminders or short documents, Delete is a trash can, and Junk is a new "thumbs-down" icon. One new icon is the Show Related Messages icon, which looks like a letter with a line over it. A click brings up any replies or forwarded messages that are related to the currently highlighted message. Finally, the Flag icon lets you apply a rainbow of colored flags to a message so that you can group message by color.
ch07fig07.png

As with previous versions of Mail, it's easy to customize the Mail toolbar to your needs. For individual messages, there are some new icons for the Message toolbar -- the Send icon is now a paper airplane, which has to have the Sparrow folks going berserk. There are also buttons for displaying the new Format Toolbar (used to format the text in a Mail message), the Photo Browser for adding photos, and Showing Stationery. The stationery in Lion Mail doesn't seem to have changed from Snow Leopard.

Some of the new Message Toolbar icons are useful -- Append lets you include information from an existing email in a brand new message, while Lists is used to create numbered or bulleted lists in a message. The Format Toolbar (below) is quite helpful for creating nice looking Rich Text emails, with buttons for changing Font, Font Size, Color, Bold/Italic/Underline, Justification, and the Indent/Outdent of a paragraph.

ch07fig11.png

Reading Mail messages is a bit easier now as well. Message headers appear in default with just three lines of information -- the name and email address of the server, the message subject, and the date and time of receipt. Click a new Details link, and the header expands to provide you with extra information.

Conversations (below) is a new feature to help organize chains of emails. At TUAW, we sometimes have emails that have 15 to 20 responses and forwards. Conversations groups together related messages automatically, with each email numbered to help with organization.
ch07fig16.png

One of my favorites is the Hidden Quoted Text in Conversations. If you need to see some of the previous messages to figure out why someone responded a certain way, there's a "See More from" link that appears in the message. With a click, you see the original text.

Searching is tremendously improved over previous versions of Mail. When you start typing a search into the Mail search field, grouped search suggestions appear in a drop-down menu. There are also search tokens (below), which appear when you type in a person's name, a phrase, or some specific label. The tokens often have a small drop-down associated with them which shows available options. Search tokes can be combined to create very focused searches of your mailbox.
ch07fig21.png

Attachments can also be searched. Creating a search token for "attachments" looks for messages with attachments, and adding another search word will look for that word in the attachments.

Data detectors have improved in Lion Mail as well. While in the previous versions clicking on a data detector would open iCal, now a mini-calendar pops up so you can see if you have any calendar conflicts. Have a hyperlink in a Mail message? A click on the disclosure triangle near the link brings up a Quick Look of the web page (below).
ch07fig25.png

All in all, Lion Mail brings a much needed facelift to Apple's built-in Mac email app. Have any questions for the TUAW crew about Mail? Leave a comment below.

The images used in this article are taken from the upcoming Apress book Taking Your OS X Lion to the Max.Lion Mail: Faster, full-screen, and feature-packed originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 20 Jul 2011 11:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
But can it do cntrl+Enter for send!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Looking forward to getting to try it out.

Reaction score
Faster? No way.. At least my experience with the new mail is an annoying delay between selecting an e-mail, and actually showing it. It's a problem with selecting all HTML based mails, I have never experienced this problem with 10.6? Please say I'm not the only one, it would make me look like a fool with an old sluggish computer... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Not sure I love the iOS-ish layout. I'll try it for a week or so and if it doesn't grow on me, I might change it back to classic view.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I may be in the minority here but I love the new Mail. I was looking forward to it and it has yet to disappoint me. I would happily migrate to Outlook if need be but once Mail is full screened and the UI "trimmed down" (remove unnecessary UI clutter) is suits me really well.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Shift+Command+D. (I think the "D" is for deliver?)

I'm deeply programmed to use cntrl + enter - not sure if I can deprogram. In fact, I'm so programmed - that it's resulted in me sending a work e-mail or two that I wasn't really ready to send. :Blushing:

When I first switched to Mac - I spent a bit of time trying to get cntrl-enter to work with Mail - but never was successful.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
I may be in the minority here but I love the new Mail. I was looking forward to it and it has yet to disappoint me. I would happily migrate to Outlook if need be but once Mail is full screened and the UI "trimmed down" (remove unnecessary UI clutter) is suits me really well.

I totally agree with you! I just love how the new Mail works, very satisfied!

Guys, just going with the flow here, On 10.6 on finder a 3 finger gesture let you go back or forth, Now in Lion that`s not possible, is there other gesture to that?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm also with Van. The new mail is a great improvement and I really like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm deeply programmed to use cntrl + enter - not sure if I can deprogram. In fact, I'm so programmed - that it's resulted in me sending a work e-mail or two that I wasn't really ready to send. :Blushing:

When I first switched to Mac - I spent a bit of time trying to get cntrl-enter to work with Mail - but never was successful.

It's ok. You'll get the hang of it. ;)

Reaction score
It downloaded all my mail, but the messages won't open. I think it's mostly a problem with HTML mail, but I'm not sure. Any ideas for getting it to open the messages as it should? I'm on a MacBook, running 10.7. Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am also with Van. I find the new Mail after a few weeks of use quite nice. Faster on my computer and like the new layout. Only thing I Unhid was the mailboxes. Much better than the Older Mail in SL and before.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It downloaded all my mail, but the messages won't open. I think it's mostly a problem with HTML mail, but I'm not sure. Any ideas for getting it to open the messages as it should? I'm on a MacBook, running 10.7. Thanks.

Have you tried rebuilding the mailboxes that contain the messages that won't open. You can do this by selecting the mailbox and choosing "Rebuild from the Mailbox menu.

I think it is possible to Shift-click and select multiple mailboxes at once. If you rebuild a mailbox associated with an Exchange Server the mailbox will appear empty until the messages are re-downloaded.

Reaction score
Overall, I like the new Mail program. My only complaint is the scrolling. I have an older MacBook without a modern trackpad and am forced to use the scroll bar. Since I have four mailboxes set up on the machine, all of which get a good bit of mail, I find it very hard to scroll through with just the scroll bar--it would be nice to have arrows again.

Aside from this issue, a great redesign. I especially like the iOS-style "preview" of the message in the inbox.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

Brian, you can go to Keyboard and commands and make a new command. I have been trying but so far can't figure out what word the Send button needs. If I figure it out I will post it for you so you can use your CTRL+Enter!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Overall, I like the new Mail program. My only complaint is the scrolling. I have an older MacBook without a modern trackpad and am forced to use the scroll bar. Since I have four mailboxes set up on the machine, all of which get a good bit of mail, I find it very hard to scroll through with just the scroll bar--it would be nice to have arrows again.

Aside from this issue, a great redesign. I especially like the iOS-style "preview" of the message in the inbox.

You can make the ScrollBars show in System Preference and just click them and drag up and down.

Screen Shot 2011-08-14 at 1.52.42 PM.png

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brian, you can go to Keyboard and commands and make a new command. I have been trying but so far can't figure out what word the Send button needs. If I figure it out I will post it for you so you can use your CTRL+Enter!

Let me know when you get that working. It was something I tried when I first switched - and I finally gave up. I tried a number of things including assigning a shortcut - never seemed to work.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I HOPE I can figure it out. So far no luck finding right command to enter to trigger the Send.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let me know when you get that working. It was something I tried when I first switched - and I finally gave up. I tried a number of things including assigning a shortcut - never seemed to work.

Brian, could you get used to Command+D? If so I got it working!!!! Control+D no matter what I did will not work, which is strange as it's just a keyboard mapping. Be sure you completely quit the Mail app. Open Keyboard and Shortcuts and make a new one under Applications. Call it Send. For the keys hold Command+Enter and get out of the editor. Open Mail and it should now send with Command+Enter. Tried it with Control but nada. Not sure why! :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.