• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OS X Lion: Installation Guide, Boot Discs and Q&A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Every guide for making your own boot volume seems to leave out the important step of making sure your USB drive uses a GUID partition table. I think Lifehacker has the best set of instructions out of what I've seen.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Disk Utility defaults to GUID. The only time you would ever wish to use MBR instead of GUID is when formatting a flash drive to FAT-32.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Yes, but there's a decent chance someone doing this would be using a usb drive already formatted FAT32 and MBR since nearly every flash drive comes that way. Plus people often mess up steps in tutorials (might just reformat the one partition because they see the HFS option), so it's an extra layer of fool-proofing.

This brings up an interesting question: Does Disk Utility in Lion allow formatting hard drives to use the old Apple Partition Map?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And that would be practically every flash drive.

Using the Erase tab option most of the tutorials say to use, does indeed leave the partition table as MBR, even when formatting to HFS. Just did it last night myself.

The installer will still load and run from the desktop. So, it looks like it will still install, "if" you're booted into the OS still on your system. (Not for sure, I'll find out this weekend when I upgrade my wife's machine.) It is not bootable however, and you'll not be able to do a clean install with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You don't need to erase or format seperately if you just use the Restore tab in Disk Utility.

Just drag the InstallESD.dmg file in as the source and drag the USB drive from the disk utility sidebar as the destination.

It formats, and reimages the USB drive all in one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless Apple severely changed the functions of Disk Utility in Lion, I guarantee you restoring to a partition on an MBR-partitioned drive won't make it bootable on Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.