• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Releases OS X Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
If you're used to the iPhone and iPad, it becomes second nature quickly. However, if you really hate it, you can disable it and go back to standard scrolling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Can I ask you a question? How do you know you have 1GB left? I have found no way so far to see the progress except a bar with no markings.

Well, I went the round-about way... I opened Activity Monitor, looked at my network bandwidth and guess-timated how much more. Using the Purchased tab would have been much more reliable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Just started the download. Gonna head off to work and finish it up when I get home.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Installing Lion now. . . Done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
ANyone getting nervous? There's so many new things...more than 250! Is there a blog that shows all of them, or at least the important ones...besides Apple's site?

11 minutes to go on my download!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Installed and been playing with it a little.

Love Yahoo IMAP support in Mail. Hate, hate, hate the backwards "natural" scrolling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
Installed and been playing with it a little.

Love Yahoo IMAP support in Mail. Hate, hate, hate the backwards "natural" scrolling.

you're able to turn that off and go back to the natural way of scrolling from Leopard. it's in the system preferences.

I'm LOVING it so far.. i really like the new Mail app. I find that in my finder windows though I'm not as quick to identify places (desktop, home folder, etc) since they're all one color now.

Screen Shot 2011-07-20 at 8.11.03 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
you're able to turn that off and go back to the natural way of scrolling from Leopard. it's in the system preferences.

Already done. That was the very first thing I did.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks to this thread I now know Lion is up. Downloading now. 12 minutes to go. At that rate total time will be about 45 min.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Everything seems to work. Final Cut Pro, Office 2011, CS5 suite.. etc..

the only thing that doesn't work is my Intego Antivirus :( I'm sure a patch will come out soon enough though.

I love the built in spell check/auto correct.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'd be Lion if I didn't say this new OS looks sharp. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13.3
Downloaded. Installed. And working fine! I really like it all so far!

Reaction score
I have a three week old iMac. I was given to understand that I would qualify for a free upgrade. Anybody know how this works?

Reaction score
working flawlessly!

I downloaded and installed Lion; no problems whatsoever, works flawlessly!

Scott

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Running Lion. Everything works nice so far, but I don't like how it scrolls so far down with the bouncing action. I LOVE the spelling auto correction! LOVE IT!!

Reaction score
I have a three week old iMac. I was given to understand that I would qualify for a free upgrade. Anybody know how this works?

I tried that but it just takes me to the UK Apple Store with no indication of how to obtain the free upgrade! I am in the UK obviously!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
we should start a list of things working and not working.

for me, working:

final cut pro, adobe CS5 suite, final draft 8 (with the latest patch). Plus all the typical apple software (ilife 11, iWork's, etc.. obviously)

not working:

intego antivirus (I know I know, antivirus? why though? because in my line of work there's a LOT of excel documents that get shot back and forth and there's been quite a few times we'd had virus infected ones that came from someone's PC and we had to basically remove the virus before passing it on)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
Lion is public now, I can talk about it!

How do you like it? I've been watching it evolve since dev preview 1 (build 11a390) and it's grown into a nice OS. There are still a few minor bugs here and there, but it's exciting. The Golden Master addressed most issues that I was having. Weirdly, Finder doesn't automatically open for me when I log in, I need to click the icon to have it open. This can be a pain for other log in items that rely on finder (my scripts to reconnect network drives for example), but I think that will be fixed in 10.7.1, easily. I've actually switched back from Chrome to Safari because fullscreen chrome pales in comparison to the sleekness of safari.

I see a lot of you are freaking out about inverse scrolling (more natural feeling to me), but apparently you guys did no reading about the OS before upgrading. It's easily reversed back to the old method under system prefs> trackpad. After playing with developer preview 1, I actually went out and bought shareware (Smart Scroll) to reverse the scrolling. It just feels right. It makes more sense. Now if people have it the other way, it throws me off!

The one thing that annoys the crap out of me is having to recheck scroll "with inertia" under universal access every time i log out and back in. For some reason even though the preference sticks, it doesn't keep the inertial scrolling until I tell it again that that is what I want.

All in all, I'm satisfied, and for 30 bucks, **** yea!

Reaction score
I tried that but it just takes me to the UK Apple Store with no indication of how to obtain the free upgrade! I am in the UK obviously!

Got it eventually from the UK Apple Store. Downloading as I write. Fingers crossed!:Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.