• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Releases OS X Lion

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Well, since we're all going on about what we like and don't like, I'll chime in. Though some of what I'm saying may not apply, since I'm still only running the gold dev build. I do have a legit copy, but won't be installing it on my MBP until I defrag my HD. Apparently I can not partition my HD due to not having enough contiguous space available. *yeah, I need to defrag* Oh, running the dev build on the other MBP...

So right off the bat, I think that Launch Pad is awful. Granted, I don't have to use it, but I just hate the mentality behind why it's even on a desktop or notebook as opposed to a mobile device. Not to mention that it's totally redundant since all apps can be accessed via the application stack in the dock. What especially annoys me about Launch Pad, is that it wastes an otherwise potentially good finger gesture for another action.

Spaces has been castrated. More of that iOS mentality, and in a way that hinders productivity in favor of making lazy users more comfortable when away from their simpleton iOS devices. Not that there's anything wrong with those devices or iOS, but keep it [iOS] where it belongs.

No more moving windows from virtual space to another space, no more columns, no more four finger tap and swipe to your app (which is HUGE to me).

Gestures. I suppose it's cool that there are a few new ones, but some of them actually invalidate ones I'm currently using and with no substitutions as far as I can tell. Here's one that irks me to no end: It appears as if we have to choose between swiping back and forward or the three finger grab and move, or grab and expand.

For example, in things like Finder when you want to navigate by swiping rather than clicking on the arrow. The same goes for navigating system preferences and anything else which you'd navigate with an forward or back arrow. As for the grab gesture, this used to be the ol' double tap and hold. Double tap and hold allows you to mimic what you'd ordinarily do by clicking and holding down the click. But you guys already know this. Anyway, I can't figure out a way to achieve both of these things at the same time (navigate and hold-drag/expand)

I'm not a fan of Mission Control. Spaces and Expose work better for me, in that less actions need to be taken in order to get stuff done. More redundancy and in more moves.. not sure of how that's an improvement. But I'll have to play around more and see if it's just something I'm missing, or if the release has more than the dev gold build.

Have to go to sleep. Early day tomorrow. Else I'd likely pick on more stuff!

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
BTW, if you don't know the Up to date program is royally broken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.4ghz i5 Macbook Pro
I found a nice little way of getting rid of that ugly "leather" look for ical and address book.

ScreenShot2011-07-20at85337PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
I'm not really a fan of the new mission control.

It replaces my Expose =( which I used VERY often. Fortunately, with the use of BTT, I was able to get my gestures somewhat back to the way they used to. I'm hoping Apple adds expose back as an option so people can choose between the two.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Expose IS there. It might be tied to Mission control but you can get the normal app expose with a gesture. I swipe 4 fingers up and you see all the open apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
Is it just me, or does anyone else want to see safari's new swiping through pages effect ported over to iOS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Very happy with the install. Was able to upgrade all 4 of my Macs in an hour. Far as I can tell everything works great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
After trying to enjoy Lion (unsuccessfully), tomorrow I am reverting back to Snow Leopard.
Reason, MISSION CONTROL HAS TAKEN CONTROL!
An 'all windows' hot corner (Expose) was my favourite OS X feature, which I used frequently, and mission control has replaced that with a poor attempt of fusing Expose and Spaces.
I got past the other issues such as the iOS style scrolling through system preferences, and showing my library with 'chflags nohidden ~/Library' in terminal, but the inability to get myself back my trackpad gesture to show all windows unless I purchase a new Mac is enough.
I love the new MBA, but not so much that I need to fork out $ to have the 4finger swipe to replace my hot corner that I had in SL.
Goodbye Lion :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
So I used Expose a lot and I'm not really understanding why people think Expose is so much better/different than what Mission Control does? Seems actually very, very similar to me.

So what exactly did Expose do that you are not able to do with Mission Control or the App Exposé that are in Lion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It's the all windows feature that expose gives.
Mission Control stacks everything in it's group...see how Firefox has 3 windows stacked and ImageShackUploader, Yahoo, and Skype are spaced out on their own.
Before with Expose, all windows would be spaced out.
Now, even hitting the Expose key on the keyboard, you still get it all stacked.
There is no option to have all windows visible any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If Firefox is what you're currently using, swipe down with three fingers and you'll get app expose.

Or try clicking on the windows in those stacks and dragging and stuff, you'll be amazed. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If Firefox is what you're currently using, swipe down with three fingers and you'll get app expose.

Or try clicking on the windows in those stacks and dragging and stuff, you'll be amazed. :)

With this late 07 MB, no such luck with the 3 finger swipe, and as far as the dragging and rearranging, time consuming steps that I have to take now that I didn't have to before my upgrade (downgrade perhaps?).
No amazement going on here my friend :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With this late 07 MB, no such luck with the 3 finger swipe, and as far as the dragging and rearranging, time consuming steps that I have to take now that I didn't have to before my upgrade (downgrade perhaps?).
No amazement going on here my friend :)

That's cool then, enjoy SL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I found a nice little way of getting rid of that ugly "leather" look for ical and address book.
Care to share with us? I know a few of us around here could do without the new look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
No probe here. I disabled the reverse scrolling right away.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
This IS with a hot corner! :D

Overlapping windows of the same app? Does not matter as I can still click on them and have them open.

Screen Shot 2011-07-21 at 8.28.28 AM.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No probe here. I disabled the reverse scrolling right away.

Hey, I like the reverse scrolling - going to leave it as is. Maybe it's because I'm a lefty. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4 GHZ, 2G Ram, 160 GB HD| iPhone 4
Hey, I like the reverse scrolling - going to leave it as is. Maybe it's because I'm a lefty. :)
Same here it might take some getting used to but it makes sense to me. Southpaw power!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.