• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple Releases OS X Lion

Reaction score
Three finger left/right in Chrome is like the Back and Forward button in the browser. Not sure how to scroll through tabs with gestures.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
@randalthor & @idrinorbarsaku, thanks :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
oooOOOoo00Ooo - my macbook now supports a 64 bit kernel, and defaults to it. :)

Thanks for that tidbit. It'll be nice to have that working finally.

It's installing on my iMac right now, using the Macbook to read the forums while waiting.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What are all these so called bugs people are talking about? I so far have not found one bug.

Van, here on the forums there are hundreds if not thousands of threads where a Plist file was causing issues and us telling them to delete the plist. With the library hidden, how do we help them? Sure we can give them the terminal command to unhide the library folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see a lot of you are freaking out about inverse scrolling (more natural feeling to me), but apparently you guys did no reading about the OS before upgrading. It's easily reversed back to the old method under system prefs> trackpad. After playing with developer preview 1, I actually went out and bought shareware (Smart Scroll) to reverse the scrolling. It just feels right. It makes more sense. Now if people have it the other way, it throws me off!

That's all well and good, except there are those of us who don't have a trackpad and a regular mouse (or trackball) works in a manner we don't like. With no trackpad on my iMac I can't change the setting. Seems like Apple forgot not everyone uses one...

EDIT: Found the solution. My iMac came with an Apple Wireless Mouse which I've never used. I set it up and was able to then go in through the Mouse Prefs Pane and disable the "Natural" scrolling. Thank god....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
Disagree. It's not like we're talking terminal hacking here. There's enough of a reason someone would need to get to their Library folder that they should have at least made it a preference item.

And if the Library is so dangerous, why didn't they also hide the main system Library?

You can easily get to your Library folder in Finder by using CMD-SHIFT-G and typing ~/Library into the pop up box.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In itial installation went well. After it booted my Finder crashed and wouldn't boot again. Tried to restart and just got a grey screen. Did a hard reboot and some funny things started happening.

Got to the log in screen and even though my Mouse and Keyboard were working (Mouse moved the cursor) they didn't do anything (no letters and couldn't select anything with the mouse). Hard rebooted again, same thing. Hard rebooted again and started unplugging peripherals. No change with USB devices (Mouse and KB excepted). The I unplugged the FW 800 to 400 cable and random letters appeared in the login name box but still no dice with the Mouse and KB. Once I unplugged them and then re attached them they started to function as normal. Rebooted again (from the log in screen) and all is well.

Aside from the scrolling issue in my last post it's been smooth so far.

Time Machine and Spotlight are chugging away doing their thing right now....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I also can't find the feature (I believe it's expose) where you could swipe away all open apps and just see your desktop. The ability to bring them all on screen to click between is still there, but the four fingers swiping down no longer clears the space.

Anyone got ideas?

It's a gesture to get to your desktop now if you have a trackpad. Check out the gesture in the settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2ghz c2d, 180gb vertex 2 ssd, 4gb ram
I have been on GM1 for about 2 to 3 weeks, and one bug I have found is finder doesn't launch at log in, which holds back some of my apps. Also, at log out, scrolling's inertia turns itself off. There are a few other small ones, but overall this OS is very usable, especially in comparison to dp1. It is a smooth experience, and things are looking nice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's all well and good, except there are those of us who don't have a trackpad and a regular mouse (or trackball) works in a manner we don't like. With no trackpad on my iMac I can't change the setting. Seems like Apple forgot not everyone uses one...

EDIT: Found the solution. My iMac came with an Apple Wireless Mouse which I've never used. I set it up and was able to then go in through the Mouse Prefs Pane and disable the "Natural" scrolling. Thank god....

I would imagine it would then be under the mouse or universal access mouse options. I haven't tested to confirm as my other macs are PPC macs and are therefore stuck on leopard. I will have to try to locate it with my mouse plugged in. My point is, in my experience with the previews, search the system prefs, there is much to find!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
I purchased/downloaded it tonight and I am now burning my boot disc. I think I'll wait till tomorrow to install it. It's getting late.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
'Natural' scrolling is about the most unnatural name for something that is not at all normal for a desktop environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
'Natural' scrolling is about the most unnatural name for something that is not at all normal for a desktop environment.

It was jarring at first, but I stuck with it, and now I like it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ars Technica

How to create your own boot media from your purchased Installer before installing. Thank you Ars Technica. The extra 40 bucks for a 4 gig flash drive and not having to do it yourself doesn't seem worth it to me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was jarring at first, but I stuck with it, and now I like it.

Like I've said, took me about 5 minutes to 100% adapt to it, and eventually bought smart scroll for snow leopard, since dev 1 was far too buggy to use as a main OS. I think if schweb et al gave it a real shot, they'd adapt mentally very quickly. It does make sense, and it really adds to the tangibility of the computing experience!

Reaction score
after lion install Mail won't work

lion installed fine except when it attempted to upgrade mail to work with lion it says that upgrade failed and also says
Your Mail index has been damaged. To repair it, quit Mail. When i do this it just repeats the process and i end up back where I started.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
(27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)
I purchased/downloaded it tonight and I am now burning my boot disc. I think I'll wait till tomorrow to install it. It's getting late.

Ok so who am I kidding? I couldn't wait till tomorrow. It's installing on my MacBook as I type this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok so who am I kidding? I couldn't wait till tomorrow. It's installing on my MacBook as I type this.

That's what I like to hear!

lion installed fine except when it attempted to upgrade mail to work with lion it says that upgrade failed and also says
Your Mail index has been damaged. To repair it, quit Mail. When i do this it just repeats the process and i end up back where I started.

Open a finder window, press command shift G and enter /Users/*yourusername*/Library/Preferences

Search for com.apple.mail.plist - delete it. Try again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.